Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing some work on a PRS Opeth

WOW

It's not an amazing guitar. In fact for 800 euros it's basically ok. However, color me impressed and I've no idea why.

I'm working on it for a buddy who wants it tuned to C#. She had 009s before so I put some 12-52s on it. Very light for C# but well... I had to widen every damn slot in the nut as well as take out 2 or so millimeters out of the treble side. However given the much thicker strings, they're now way too high and the guitar doesn't feel as easy to play.

However

SHE ****ING SCREAMS.
    C#, some power chords and I had the urge to learn a few tunes from Machinehead's latest, The Blackening. HOLLLLYYYY****. Maybe I'm not used to downtuning that much anymore but that was quite something. The pickups are not amazing, but surely good enough for OEM PRS pups. Just the guitar as a whole is nice to play and sounds lovely.
    And it's just FUN.

I'm used to Strats with strings a mile off the fretboard and a lot of tension on them. So this is a welcome break... I wouldn't swap my MM or my Strat for it but it's just a lot of fun.

I've still got to take out 1mm out of every nut slot, round up the nut edges (you could cut yourself on those corners!) and re-set her up. The neck reacted instantly to the 12s, even tuned down three half steps so I took some relief down... I'll spend some time on her again tomorrow. The nut is horrendous.

Re: Doing some work on a PRS Opeth

cool! I do most of my own work, but havent tackled nut work.. Ive always kinda liked this model, except for the band logo on it.. yuck
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Re: Doing some work on a PRS Opeth

Groovy. If it's good enough for Åkerfeldt, it's gotta be fun.

Comment

Working...
      X