Guitar wood tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar wood tutorial

I haven't seen a thread like this yet, so I'm creating it.

I think it can help people who look for a specific sound but don't know what's most likely to deliver what they want. So here we go, post your knowledge here, all about : body woods, neck woods, fingerboard woods, typical combinations, wood tops, constructions (bolt-on, set-neck etc).

I'll post a second post right after this one that I'll edit regularly, to synthesize everything that has been said.

Describe how the different woods matter in terms of SOUND mostly, weight, grain etc can also matter, but I really want this tuto to focus on sound.
    There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
    Don't ask.

Re: Guitar wood tutorial

Sorta like this?

- Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Yeah but I want to order it by guitar part, not by wood only, and to make it as complete as possible.
      There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
      Don't ask.

Comment

Santa Cruz guitars has a great page on their website explaining tone-woods

"So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've always like this one on Jemsite. By the one and only Frank Falbo, himself.

And Warmoths page.

MM
          MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
          Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
            I've always like this one on Jemsite. By the one and only Frank Falbo, himself.

MM
            I always liked that one, too. I didn't know Frank wrote it. That's awesome.
            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Here's Bare Knuckle Pickups Tim Mills on the subject:

I don’t want to upset all of the guitar makers, but this reliance on the body timber as being the whole source of the tone is a complete misnomer. My understanding of it, which is based on my own investigations and also having worked with some of the better luthiers in the country, is that the guitar’s voice comes from the pickup. The feel and the resonance and the sustain are a combination of body timber and body construction.

“With pickups, I believe that if you can find the right voice with your guitar pickup, then you will really bring out the best in your guitar. After all, an electric guitar without a pickup doesn’t work. The pickup is the guitar’s mouthpiece; the pickup hears the sound of the strings, but equally the strings are reliant on factors like the timber and the construction as to how resonant they are going to be. That’s when the importance of timber comes into it, but the ‘voicing’ is down to the pickup and how carefully you choose the materials. As with all of these things, it’s a combination of the whole.”

Personally I don't have enough knowledge to have an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post

I don’t want to upset all of the guitar makers, but this reliance on the body timber as being the whole source of the tone is a complete misnomer. My understanding of it, which is based on my own investigations and also having worked with some of the better luthiers in the country, is that the guitar’s voice comes from the pickup. The feel and the resonance and the sustain are a combination of body timber and body construction.

“With pickups, I believe that if you can find the right voice with your guitar pickup, then you will really bring out the best in your guitar. After all, an electric guitar without a pickup doesn’t work. The pickup is the guitar’s mouthpiece; the pickup hears the sound of the strings, but equally the strings are reliant on factors like the timber and the construction as to how resonant they are going to be. That’s when the importance of timber comes into it, but the ‘voicing’ is down to the pickup and how carefully you choose the materials. As with all of these things, it’s a combination of the whole.”

hmm i don't agree with that at all really. i mean i've heard clips of the exact same pickups in the same exact style guitar only made from different wood and the difference was night and day. hes bound to say that, he sells pickups for a living. lol if he sold amps he'd say not to bother with pickups, all the sound comes from the amp. its all about having the right combination of all things IME
                our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post

Ehhhhh, that's partially true in that voicing comes from the pickups to an extent but to say that the wood has no effect is non-sense imo. Not only are types of wood different but so is each individual piece... They have a considerable effect on the voicing easily as much as the pickups...
                  "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

+1 for Warmoth page.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      +1 for Warmoth page.
                      I agree with the meter it give you a better understanding of your tone.
                      Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
                      Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
                      I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
                      Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
                      Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
                      Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
                      Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
                      Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

Working...
                      X