What guitar to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What guitar to get?

I'm looking to get a guitar, more specifically a carvin st300. I'm trying to get a lead tone that is clear and smooth with distortion, but I don't want it to be too bright. What woods would be good for this?

I'm thinking that I should go with a mahogany body and neck with an ebony fretboard. I was also interested in Koa. I heard it described to have smooth highs, lots of mids, and a tight low end. That seems exactly like what I want, but I'm a little weary about Koa because it doesn't seem to popular. Has anybody had experience with Koa? If so what are your thoughts?

So basically just try to help me figure out what types if woods would get that tone I described.

Re: What guitar to get?

koa is beautiful but there isnt a heck of alot of it which is why you dont see it as often. its some what similar to a more focused mahogany. i dont really like carvin pups, they arent terrible but i dont find any of them that ive tried to be warm or smooth

ebony is bright, i would chose rosewood if you are going for a smooth tone.

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention that I would be changing the pickups no matter what. I need me some duncans.

Comment

Rule number one for what you want is to stay away from alder. My guess would be Mahogany/rosewood as well. What pickup configuration do you want for the guitar ?
        There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
        Don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagash View Post
          Rule number one for what you want is to stay away from alder. My guess would be Mahogany/rosewood as well. What pickup configuration do you want for the guitar ?
          I don't know yet but I got a while to decide because of the build time. Right now I'm just more concerned on what woods.

Comment

I already gave you my advice. Now I'll pervert you some bit... go for a H-S pickup conf !!!!!
            There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
            Don't ask.

Comment

Working...
            X