banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out With the New Ibanez and in with the ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out With the New Ibanez and in with the ....

Jackson DK2 Dinky...

Even after initially beleiving I had solved my buzz and dead note prob with the new Ibanez, I found after extended playing another dead spot on the guitar, and as easy as it was to play, I was getting miffed about the whole guitar.

So today I went to Guitar Center for the first time while I was out shopping w/ the family. I decided to test a couple amps, and asked the guy if I could play the DK2 as I was curious (It was down to it or the Ibanez originally). Immediately this guitar "spoke" to me . I tried a few amps and was playing quite well, and the guitar sounded great. So I said to hell with the Ibanez..it's going back to SamAsh.com. And pulled out the plastic for the DK2.

When I got home, and plugged into my 1987 50 watt reissue and my Boss SOD..it was a shocking good surprise. What a difference in sound over the Ibanez. I don't know what the bridge Duncan Design HB is modeled after, but it sounds just like a Jeff Beck model to my ears. In fact the DK2 sounds exacly like my old Strat Plus Deluxe with a JB trembucker. Awesome sounds. I could hardly put the guitar down to go eat dinner

I will say the Ibanez has a better neck for me personally, and the ZR tremelo is nicer/easier to adjust and smoother than the Jackson, but the difference in sound is huge, and for me, overall the guitar juts "fits" better.

I may...and I say may...change the neck position SC to a lil 59 or similar..but that's it I think. Darn guitar sounds great as it is. I was under the impression the Duncan Designed pickups were "eh". Far from it.

Me is a happy camper Thanx everyone for the advice on the Ibanez issues....now just need a new amp
    Last edited by JeffB; 11-21-2004, 07:38 PM.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Out With the New Ibanez and in with the ....

Ahhh..after some noodling around here on the SD site, I see that indeed the DD bridge humbucker is modeled after the Jeff Beck. Way cool.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

cool! enjoy your new gear!
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Thank you I'm really impressed with how good it sounds and plays for a sub $500 guitar.

Of course, it's justa plain black one, and not very pretty (especially compared to the Heritage 150 I sold, oreven the Ibanez), but my Paul Reed Smith/Gibson budget days are over, so this fits the bill nicely

Comment

I wanted to bump this to ask 2 questions.

Does Jackson have an owners manual and warranty card available anywhere on the web? Or is all I need my receipt from Guitar Center for warranty work these days?

I got the wrenches and an extra spring for their floyd copy, but no manual..I'd prefer knowing what screws I should or should not touch

The GC I bought it from is an hour away, and I won't be able to get up there again anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
          X