More Props for SD97, unusual pedal MSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Props for SD97, unusual pedal MSL

Yesterday I just got 3 pedals back from John (SD97).

A reissue ts-9, Boss DS-1, and the unusual one a Ibanez Metal Screamer (MSL). I'll start with the DS-1. the pedal is pretty brutal. I tried it out through one of my twins. I normally use this pedal through the marshall side of my set up, but it is in the shop getting a tune up, as is my tonemaster (new tubes). The pedal will be great for what i use it for, Beefing up a overdriven marshall sound. I have a JMP-1 that I use various settings on, 800, plexi, U name it. I like using the DS-1 to take any setting over the top for 80's metal sounds all the way to Slayer type tones. I don't have an unmodded DS-1 to a/b them but I can tell that the bottom end is more defined, and transparent.

Now the other two. A few things I can say about both of these pedals after A/Bing them is that there is a greater transparency, and range to the pedals. When I say transparency i mean the sound is cleaned up. Almost like the difference between looking through a dirty window and a clean one, or even no window. That is the transparency I mean. Both have a greater range of tone, and that range is more defined to my ear (and may ears are getting a little haggared). The TS-9 i used to ab was an original early 80's, no slouch there.
    Now the Metal Screamer. I have used this pedal in the past as a "drive enhancer". If I had overdriven tone I would use it to add chunk, or an edge. I used it mostly for rhythm that i wanted to thicken up Ex. I would use it with a jcm 800 to give it more of a mesa boogie chunk. I used it mostly for rhythm sounds. The modded pedal is a different monster now. It is a beefier TS-9 now. almost like if a TS-9, and a DS-1 had a kid. Hard to explain. Very lively pedal. Again the transparency that was unveiled was unbelievable. Can't say enough about John and his mods.
    Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
    gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
    SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Re: More Props for SD97, unusual pedal MSL

Very very cool.....Glad the pedals still work...LOL

Thanks so much for posting...Love the reviews....Just keep sending only the good reviews though! ;o)

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
    X