banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who has this setup of gear/tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one who has this setup of gear/tones?

Hi guys,

for some time now I've been listening to guys like blues saraceno, santana, andy timmons, michael schenker, robben ford and larry carlton. a rather diverse palette of tones and music(al styles) I think. I play les pauls exclusively, nothing else. but some of them have a factory installed trem, and all of them have a unique set of pickups (for example, a customwound set of bil lawrence L500's, or duncan hybrids, like the jb/fullshred hybrid in neck and bridge, airbucker a8 in neck and ceramic in bridge). that alone gives you a huge range of tones, but I also use a coiltap and the 'peter green' trick of flipping the magnet of the neckpickup so the bridge and neck are allways out of phase when put together.

The amps I use are for 90% of the time the rivera knucklehead reverb and rivera m100 with customized frontloaded cabs (one has the g12t75 + g1265 and the other has the g12t75 and a v30).

now, my point is the following.

depending on what I am about to play, I just take one channel of each amp. I only use the third channel and second channel (much less than the third though!) of the knucklehead reverb and the second channel of the m100. what the second channel of the knucklehead does, is what the m100 excels at but ok. kind of what andy timmons is doing with this stiletto (biting crunchy tones) and lonestar (full fat sirupy juicy tones) setup is doing. though I use rivera :P

so, I just take one channel, and with my volumepot I go to clean, crunch or fullwhack distortion. I don't use the gainboosts to get more gain, neccasarily. I use them to change the character of the overdrive. Most of the time I like the gainstructure, but I don't like having more GAIN neccasarily, so I lower the gain (the knob itself) from 6 or 7 to 5 or 6, sometimes even lower. thats why all my pickups have roughly the same output but different voicings.

For instance, I can't get that thick tone robben ford has, from my knucklehead(s third channel, the second is ok), so I use the m100. but that crunchy, honky tone blues saraceno has, can't be found in the m100 (if I have it set up for the robben ford thing, which uses completely different settings than the biting crunchy tone I also use).

am I the only one who uses his amps like this? just one channel for a song, or multiple songs, with the boosts to change the character and structure of the amp?

Re: Am I the only one who has this setup of gear/tones?

I really like just using the volume knob to get my clean tones.

It's just incredibly impractical for the styles of music that I play.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

TL;DR
      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

um

yup
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Used to do it that way for a couple years but I went with a 4 channel Marshall (JVM410C) instead as it made it much easier to get the right tone for clean,rhythm,lead etc with just stepping on the channel select pedal!
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I used to do it similarly but I found when playing live that making use of the channels made it easier to stay in the mix. Using only the volume knob made it a hard balancing act between having enough gain to get decent distortion and being able to be heard when i pull the volume knob back to get my cleans.

But really if it works for you I say have at it.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Interesting set-up but why don't you just get a Mesa road king, a PRS and a Strat...

Comment

Or a rack with a pedalboard. *Step* you have a nice clean *step* you have some fat crunch *step* you have 1000 other varieties of whatever combination of crunch and clean and effects *step* you have your crushing/searing/blazing saturated tones.
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

I only have one amp (and it only has one channel), so I use pedals and pickup switching primarily for different tones. Beyond that it's tone knob roll-off and varying degrees of picking hand heaviness.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                    Interesting set-up but why don't you just get a Mesa road king, a PRS and a Strat...
                    a prs; necks aren't fat enough. feels just wrong strat: don't like the flat top.

roadking: cause I don't like mesa. too fizzy, or too mushy. not gritty and punchy enough.

I never really used the volumepot of my guitar that much, but the older I get, the more I do use it...

Comment

Working...
                    X