New tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tuners?

My BC Rich Warlock's tuners need to go. They don't turn smoothly and can't keep it in tune very long. So what I'm asking is what kind of tuners should I get and how much would they cost (and to have them installed)?
    Guitars:
    Epiphone Gothic Les Paul Studio
    Epiphone Silverburst Les Paul Custom
    Schecter C7 Hellraiser

Amplification:
    Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier

Pickups:
    Seymour Duncan Distortions and EMG 707s

Re: New tuners?

well the brands you could start off with are schaller and gotoh, they're all very good tuners..

what you need to look at is this:

1) 6 in a row on the headstock (6L) or 3 on each side of the headstock (3L3R)... from what i remember, the warlock is a 3L3R guitar..

2) the locking screw.. most tuners have a screw or two securing them in. if you can get hold of a replacement set with these holes lined up *in the same place*, things will look a lot tidier.

as for a price, i install all my own... which country are you in? that plays quite a part in labour costs

whatever you choose, good luck

tom

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
      1) 6 in a row on the headstock (6L) or 3 on each side of the headstock (3L3R)... from what i remember, the warlock is a 3L3R guitar..
      Actualy the bronze Series has 6 on one side. The only ones that are 3R3L have the Widow HeadStock.
      Kramer Classic III - Trans Amber

and more projects than you can shake a spray gun at.

Comment

I've actually got a bronze series with the widow headstock. Neat, eh?

And I live in the U.S.
        Guitars:
        Schecter C7 Hellraiser

Amplification:

Pickups:

Comment

*phew* heh - thought i'd given duff advice there..

any US luthiers? how much for replacing tuners? im no good, im in the UK

Comment

Hehe no prob, and thanks.
            Guitars:
            Schecter C7 Hellraiser

Amplification:

Pickups:

Comment

Does your guitar have a whammy bar type bridge (i.e. Floyd Rose or other floating tremelo bridge)? If it does and you're replacing tuners, you really ought to consider locking tuners. They will greatly increase your tuning stability and make changing strings easier. Schaller & Sperzel seem to be the brands that most guys prefer, although Gotoh makes some locking tuners too.

Now the tough part will be finding tuners that fit your guitar without enlarging the existing holes and/or drilling new holes for pins or screws. It's not a big deal to do the install if you don't need to make the holes bigger, but I'd get a luthier to install the tuners in most cases.

The good news is that better quality, locking tuners will make a BIG difference in keeping your guitar in tune and probably will improve tone/sustain as well.

While you're at it, you might consider replacing the nut at the same time if it's plastic. A Graph Tech trem-nut ought to come standard with any whammy-bar equipped guitar IMHO. It would improve tuning stability even more and improve your tone if you currently have a plastic nut.

Sorry for coming up with yet another way to spend hard earned $$$

Chip
              Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
              Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
              Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
              SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
              SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
              "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

I've seen a few Bronze series with Widow Head stock but didn't know they had gotten more poular. I stand corrected. I sold my platnium series a while back. I still have a bronze series beater around, somewhere. I think I would go with a set of Schaller locking tuners, regardless of the bridge type. Deffinitely if you have a trem though.
                Kramer Classic III - Trans Amber

and more projects than you can shake a spray gun at.

Comment

I don't know about the popularity of bronze series warlocks with the widow headstock. I had to look pretty damn hard for one. But ok I wrote that down on my "What parts my guitar needs" list. It may be a cheap guitar but in the end after I'm done customizing it it's gonna OWN!! Thank you all, I appreciate it.
                  Guitars:
                  Schecter C7 Hellraiser

Amplification:

Pickups:

Comment

Working...
                  X