Flying V electronics question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying V electronics question

Hi folks. I have Gibson v98, which has a modern Flying V form factor, but the controls are laid out like a 58 V. I've replaced the hot pickups with a Seth Lover bridge and neck, and I'd like to get some feedback on some other planned mods.

(1) The throw of the toggle switch bothers me, and I'd like to rotate the pickup selector switch so that the throw is at a 45 degree angle (similar to a Strat) as opposed to up/down (vertical). Unfortunately, the switch is one of the shallow 90-degree Switchcrafts, and there is no room underneath the pickguard to rotate it.

Currently, it has a switch like this:

right-angle switch

Would one of these shallow Switchcrafts fit?

short switch

(2) I kinda feel silly about asking this question, as I feel I should know the answer. I'm adding a push-pull pot and it *just* barely fits (height-wise). I was planning on shielding the control cavity with copper foil, and I was concerned that it might be a problem if the bottom of the pot touched the copper tape. I suppose I could put a piece of electrical tape on the bottom of the pot if this would be a problem, but would it be a problem (let's assume I'm grounding to the pot chasis)?
    Last edited by MattPete; 05-16-2011, 07:11 PM. Reason: fixed links
    This machine kills fascists

Re: Flying V electronics question

The links you posted are not working
    Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
    If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Fixed the links (above)

Comment

That one is still too tall. I've done what you want to do for a customer. I had to use a crap proline switch.
        Last edited by Wonker; 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM.
        Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
        If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Thanks Wonker, as that saved me $20 bucks on an experiment. That's too bad, as the angle of the switch drives me batty, as I'm use to flicking my hand down (er, sideways) to change pickups, but the switch doesn't move side-to-side, only up-and-down. The Switchcraft sight said it was for SGs (so i figured it would fit a V), but every web site selling switches for Vs (or SGs) listed the right-angle switch.

Comment

Yep, you're right: the toggle switch doesn't fit (too wide to be turned 90°).

Likewise, both the Bourns and Alpha 500k push-pull are too tall. They fit within the body cavity, but the shaft is too long. With a deeper cavity (Strat), you could use nuts and washers to adjust how much the shaft sticks out, but there isn't enough depth for that in a V (or SG).

Comment

Working...
            X