banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gold Top 2: Revenge of the One-Piece Body (NGD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gold Top 2: Revenge of the One-Piece Body (NGD)

When I take a couple guitars and say "this one is most resonant/sounds best" the next person usually comes to the opposite conclusion. I want to know whether that's just me sucking or what?

Comment

I'm afraid I don't have enough data points to hypothesize on that matter.

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
      When I take a couple guitars and say "this one is most resonant/sounds best" the next person usually comes to the opposite conclusion. I want to know whether that's just me sucking or what?
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

interesting.... very interesting. so same model, presumably close production dates, different sound.

even just on looks i think i like #3 better

mike

Comment

You get an idea how varied the old ones are in their raw materials and timbre quality, more so given that when winding the pickups, they'd just eyeball it until the bobbin was full. I've been reading Gil Yaron's thread about 335s on tdpri.com and it's remarkable how inconsistent they were even within a short time period.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I'm sorry, this outcome disagrees with everything I've learnt from the internet.

You are wrong, sir. WRONG.

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

The 3-piece was made on the 84th day of this year, the 1-piece on the 116th. I haven't looked at a calendar to do the math on exactly when those are, but they're obviously roughly a month apart.

Originally posted by j9fd3s View Post
              interesting.... very interesting. so same model, presumably close production dates, different sound.

even just on looks i think i like #3 better

mike
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

The inspection card on the one Im using was signed 5/10 and was here in my hot little mitts on the 17th.. Just a baby..
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Wait... I'm confused. Did you order a custom shop 1 piece 60's tribute? I thought they were all 3 piece. Does Gibson do shop floor customs like that?
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Not a CS. The regular production models vary from 1 to, at least, 4 pieces. I've read reports of backs made from as many as 7 pieces, but have not seen any either for sale or posted on forums that were made from that many.

I bought both of mine from Wildwood, choosing them from stock before they were listed on the site. I haven't seen any 1-pieces make it to their site yet; I imagine they're all being snapped up by people on waiting lists specifically for 1-pieces. They've had bunches of 3 and 4-piece bodies (and some of those 4s looked quite nice, fwiw) and several 2s.

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                    Wait... I'm confused. Did you order a custom shop 1 piece 60's tribute? I thought they were all 3 piece. Does Gibson do shop floor customs like that?

Comment

My best Les Paul has a 3-piece back.

My best Ash Strat alike is 3-piece, although I think my best Alder is only 3.

I had one-piece Strat likes and Les Pauls that we nothing to write home about.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                        No, they don't.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

My Goldtop has a 2 piece back is really light. My buddy just got the SG, which I'm not a fan of, but that's a different story, but his SG is only 1 piece. I think it's just pot luck on what you get, but that's the same with any guitar maker.
                          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I thought it was nearly 8 lbs. Or was that somebody else's I'm remembering. For this model, based on the weights I've seen, 8lbs is actually on the heavier side of things.

Still moderately light in the grand scheme of Les Pauldom, of course.

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
                            My Goldtop has a 2 piece back is really light. .

Comment

Working...
                            X