Parker Fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parker Fly?

The old Nite Flies are really good value. Everything also is scratchplate mounted so it's easier to swap the pickups, knowing that many people don't like the stock DiMarzios. I played one recently (a 1997) and it seemed very good - fairly shreddy neck, slinky feel of the stainless steel frets. One thing I particularly liked about it was the concave neck mortise, as opposed to a traditional squared one.

Fwiw, the Nite Fly has a basswood neck and maple body, but it's not a heavy guitar at all, even though it's only got a tummy cut.

Anyway, I'd like one.
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

The old Nite Flies are really good value. Everything also is scratchplate mounted so it's easier to swap the pickups, knowing that many people don't like the stock DiMarzios. I played one recently (a 1997) and it seemed very good - fairly shreddy neck, slinky feel of the stainless steel frets. One thing I particularly liked about it was the concave neck mortise, as opposed to a traditional squared one.

Fwiw, the Nite Fly has a basswood neck and maple body, but it's not a heavy guitar at all, even though it's only got a tummy cut.

Anyway, I'd like one.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

IME, they played great and had terrific features. Too bad the tone wasn't what I was looking for.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
        My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
          IME, they played great and had terrific features. Too bad the tone wasn't what I was looking for.
          Maybe it just needed a pickup change?

I played one that had the JB/Jazz combo. Totally wrong for that guitar.

I've also got a Dimarzio bridge pickup out of one of them in a Strat and it totally kills in that guitar.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post

I played one that had the JB/Jazz combo. Totally wrong for that guitar.

I've also got a Dimarzio bridge pickup out of one of them in a Strat and it totally kills in that guitar.
            I changed out the JB for a Distortion...much better, though I really like the Jazz in the neck.
            Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              yeah, they are.. blows my $@#!#!@ mind how much they are. I couldnt/wouldnt pay that for vintage gear. Unless it was a 59 paul that I knew I could sell for much more.. Even then, id have to borrow the money..

Yeah, wives can be like that.. I feel your pain! Mine gripes about me having more than one guitar in the house (she used to complain about one) at one time and my practice amp.. let alone talk about spending money.. heck no...

LOL... My wife is actually very cool. She's my second wife though. Spousal Unit V1.0 had some MAJOR software glitches (hardware was fine). Still I limped-by with her for 18 years before the upgrade came. Wife V2.0 is VASTLY improved (in both software and hardware) and has actually been pretty patient and understanding this year. It started with our dog needing $3K TPLO surgery last November. Then, later that same month my herniated disk issues began, which culminated in my back surgery 7 weeks ago. During that whole time I've picked-up an 11R, XTC, Ubercab, OS2X12, TC G-System, ESP Eclipse II, Washburn WB200 acoustic, and last week a Peavey HP Special. I've also sold a bunch of gear during that time. But still... the fact that I'm not living in my brother's garage is a testament to how great my wife really is. I really don't deserve the upgrade!
              Last edited by Red_Label; 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM.
              "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I have nothing really to add here other than that they look seriously ****ing cool and I'd love to play one someday.

Also, Deron Miller from CKY plays one.

Last edited by Kam; 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM. Reason: No CKY post is complete without 96
                I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
                  Parker is probaly the most bang for the buck in the high end guitar arena. They offer a hell of lot of things that actually work as advertised for about the same price as a decent PRS or LP.

Their trem system is very good, the piezos are stellar, the playability is second to none, trem stop, locking tuners, SS frets (like playing on glass), stereo or mono operation...mean, mean guitars.

They do have a slightly different sound and vibe in general. Much less gets filtered out tonally due to the design and the construction. I think they are very much ahead of their time (of any time maybe).

I have three of them, I had five at one point. I sold a Nitefly to guy who really loved it and I sold one Mojo because I could flip it for a few bucks.

My only wish was that they took a standard Fly (Classic, Deluxe, or Mojo) and dropped a Floyd and locking nut on...I am a child of the 80's.

They are super cool, guitars that really sound great...but don't expect to EQ your amp exactly like your favorite super strat.

I have no affiliation with Parker, I just know a lot about them from owning my first one in the late 90s. They are intriguing and sexy instruments that really defy convention.
                  I wasn't even born in the 80's but a floyded one would be the shizz indeed !
                  There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
                  Don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
                    Anyone know what a re-fret is like with these things?
                    Parker factory job...none I know of have needed it. The frets have no tangs.
                    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                      LOL... My wife is actually very cool. She's my second wife though. Spousal Unit V1.0 had some MAJOR software glitches (hardware was fine). Still I limped-by with her for 18 years before the upgrade came. Wife V2.0 is VASTLY improved (in both software and hardware) and has actually been pretty patient and understanding this year. It started with our dog needing $3K TPLO surgery last November. Then, later that same month my herniated disk issues began, which culminated in my back surgery 7 weeks ago. During that whole time I've picked-up an 11R, XTC, Ubercab, OS2X12, TC G-System, ESP Eclipse II, Washburn WB200 acoustic, and last week a Peavey HP Special. I've also sold a bunch of gear during that time. But still... the fact that I'm not living in my brother's garage is a testament to how great my wife really is. I really don't deserve the upgrade!
                      LOL!! I love how you stated that! You seem to be a good dude and Im very happy for you that things improved!
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                        Perhaps, but I attributed it to the ultra light weight.
                        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                        My Music

Comment

Working...
                        X