PRS Mira owners, thoughts? pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Mira owners, thoughts? pics?

I'm starting to put some money aside for a backup/second guitar now that I'll be playing live on a regular basis. I want something quality with dual humbuckers and I'm really digging the vibe of the PRS Mira.

So, to those that do or have owned one, what do you think of them? Feel free to post some Mira pr0n here as well.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: PRS Mira owners, thoughts? pics?

Well I have a limited edition PRS KL 1812, which is basically an all korina stoptail Custom 24, with Mira pickups.

I don't know if the Mira and my have difference scale lengths, but with the Mira pickups and coil tap, you can get a ton of tones. I just started running it through a Carvin V3, which once retubed sounds very close to a Mesa Dual Rectifier. You can get a ton of tones out of this guitar combined with the coil tap, from telecaster tones to Les Paul to hard rock. It handles heavy distortion well, very clear and articulate, but for metal you'd want some maybe hotter pickups.

Comment

I have a few threads here about my Mira.
      I love the damn thing because it is made very well and has an excellent feel to it.
      My only complaint (and a very important one) is the stock pickups, and that is what brought me to these forums.
      There are very few suggestion for pick up replacements on the net so I decided to invest some time and money into getting the instrument to sound as good as it should. After about 5 different sets of pickups -
      (just this past week) I think I have found the correct neck pickup for it - Phat Cat (haha back to single coils !)
      I installed a 4 conductor Seth Lover in the bridge last night and swapped out the stock 500k pot for a CTS 250K, but was not able to test it at volume. If I am not happy with it, I may just get another Phat Cat.

(I play through a Fender amp and the treble was deafening - should speak volumes considering my other 3 guitars are Strats, and I have to lower the treble to 3 or less for the Mira) It was difficult to find a happy medium, because when I tried dark pickups, before the treble was good - the bass got muddy.
      Although it is obvious I would like to mention 1 more thing - do not think you are going to get a Les Paul sound out of it.

There is a pic in my sig and I will post some more pics when it is complete.

PLAY BEFORE YOU PAY

Comment

PRS are tough to find the right pickups for IME- they have a high end clarity/frequency that no other guitar has comparitively, and you cannot dial it out on the amp. No other guitar I've owned or played has that characteristic. Strats/Teles don't have it, and even the short 24.5" scale PRS' have it. It's a very 3 dimensional "hi-fi" sound.

My McCarty & SC250 drove me nuts pickup wise- as mentioned, if I tried a darker pickup, the bass/low end would end up going to mud. Oftentimes the stock pups ended up being the best.

One thing that I found really helps is to shy away from typical nickel plated steel strings, and go with Pure nickel, like Ernie Ball Classic slinkys- that ended up working real well with my Starla and a Pearly Gate set (the Starla needed a drastic boost in the high mids, which is why I went with the PGs to begin with).

As for the Mira, AJ- I've really enjoyed the handful I have played- alot of neat sounds if you work the volume and tone. I actually was going to get a Mira, but ended up with the Starla instead due to the slightly darker sounding scale length and increased low end/low mids.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I have a Mira on layaway right now. I was shocked how much I liked it, I am not big on PRS though that seems to be changing a bit. The pickups did have exceptional clarity which I really liked.

Hope to have it in the herd full time soon.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
          X