PRS Hollowbody Owners - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Hollowbody Owners - Questions

Have been looking into these and had some questions for you PRS HB owners. I have tried a few, unfortunately I had to play through some amps I am not familiar with so had some questions. I play blues, classic rock & modern hard rock in a cover band.

It seemed to me from my limited experience that they sounded great for chug, but I could not get a decent lead tone. Any thoughts based on your experience? Seemed as if the mids were absent?

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

Marc

Re: PRS Hollowbody Owners - Questions

i have played one a few times at shows and i thought the lead tone was pretty nice. i do not play modern hard rock though. the prs had loller imperials (that i put in for the guy, they are not my favorite) and the lead tone was nice and rich.

Comment

My ex had one that i played a lot and i loved the lead tones i was getting through fender amps. Again, like jeremy though, i do not play modern hard rock. I would be pretty surprised if you couldnt coax some good lead tones out of it.

If you are gonna drop that much cash on a guitar though, take your own amp with you and plug it in.
      Originally posted by Empty Pockets
      yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Thanks for the info guyz. I will likely go back and ask for a proper setup for a demo.

Comment

Originally posted by marcg71 View Post
          Have been looking into these and had some questions for you PRS HB owners. I have tried a few, unfortunately I had to play through some amps I am not familiar with so had some questions. I play blues, classic rock & modern hard rock in a cover band.

It seemed to me from my limited experience that they sounded great for chug, but I could not get a decent lead tone. Any thoughts based on your experience? Seemed as if the mids were absent?

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

Marc
          I'm in love with my Hollowbody Spruce. I've had it for 2 or 3 years. I didn't like the McCarty Archtop pickups so they got changed out for one of my favorite pickup sets, Gibson Classic '57s. If you want to rock with it, you'll want some hotter pickups like the Classic '57s. The stock Archtop pickups were better than most PRS humbuckers, but I still felt they were a tad bland. The Duncan Mini Humbuckers I had in it chimed, but in that guitar it was a bit too thin and weak sounding. The lead tones with this guitar are just sick, especially if you switch to the neck position with the volume up. I don't know what amps you use, but I've had good luck through my Vox AC-15 and Bogner Shiva, so I've used it primarily with British voiced amps. If you want a really focused sound, you'd probably be better off with a solidbody (because that's what they're made for), but I do find myself going to my HB Spruce more than my Fender or PRS McCarty lately.
          Last edited by That90'sGuy; 05-26-2011, 07:18 PM.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by marcg71 View Post
            Thanks for the info guyz. I will likely go back and ask for a proper setup for a demo.
            I didn't want to drop another 3G on a PRS but wanted to try a Hollowbody. I ended up getting the SE hollowbody PRS and put in some Duncan pups and I have fun with it, great tones. Not a 3000 dollar guitar, but a really well made import ,huge bang for the buck. You can pick up used ones for 300 bucks if you're lucky. I know it wouldn't be the same as the high dollar ones but good nonetheless. ( I put in an Alnico 2 Pro in the neck and a Custom CUstom in the bridge)

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
            X