X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hack job Jr...what to do???

Originally posted by Wonker View Post
    Send it to the Gibson restoration shop.
    It would be way to expensive. Not to mention the guitar has been altered way to much (IMO) to even bother sending it to Gibson to restore.
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 05-28-2011, 03:03 AM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      a pair of black p90 dog ears
      +1. You might as well make use of the both routes since that is it's current state (more tonal options as well). And fill any unwanted holes....
      Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 05-28-2011, 03:13 AM.
      Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
      Roland Cube 60
      Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
      BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
      LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
      Mogami Cables
      Mooer Candy Toppers
      Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
      Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

God what a travesty. WTF is wrong with people.

At any rate- she's mangled beyond getting her back to original, so I say keep going in the "different" direction and make it VERY unique- Paint it some kind of classic detroit Fender color (seafoam green, Fiesta Red, etc.), and slap some Minis in it, along with a Bigsby.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I gotta say, with the dual cutaways, it kinda reminds me of a Danelectro (which is one of my favorite styles). If it were me, I'd throw in some soapbar or dogear P90s, fill in the gaps around the pickups, throw in a wraparound bridge, seal the other holes, 1 3way switch, 1 volume, 1 tone knob and do a crazy paint job on it, like a racing metallic orange sparkle or something (heck, something like a copper finish or goldtop would look great). This is your opportunity to take a really resonant piece and go wild with it. I'd gladly buy it off of you
          Last edited by That90'sGuy; 05-28-2011, 08:27 AM.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I think I would put in a pair of Prails, paint it that great LP junior yellow. Have a three position toggle, one tone and one volume knob, and wire two volume knobs to work as three-ways to work the pickups (sc, p90, hb). It would be a rock/blues monster!

Comment

If it were me, I'd fill in the neck cavity, fill in the extra cutaway and controls, refin black like a previous poster said with a tortoise shell pickguard. I'd then toss a Bigsby on there and a really nice P90 an be done. I'd actually be really tempted to fill in the bridge pickup cavity and leave the neck as it seems to be sort of in the middle more than at the neck. So many options.
              Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
              It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
                It would be way to expensive. Not to mention the guitar has been altered way to much (IMO) to even bother sending it to Gibson to restore.

I'm going with "you don't know what you are talking about" with this one.

a. Expensive maybe but compare it to prices of other ’56 Jr’s in the market that will be in the condition of the guitar when it comes back and it will be a deal.

b. It has not been altered way too much to be restored.

I just threw sending it back to Gibson out there without knowing what the OP's budget or plans were. But is is always an option.
                Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
                If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Well, this thread told me one main thing...I'm on the right track!

I'm really thinking going back to a single P90/wraparound set up.

Not sold on a colour yet but thinking black if I decide to cover up all the abuse, and an odd ball burst if I decide to let it all hang out...maybe a nice amber clear with a big ass guardplate!

As for sending it to Gibson they were very polite when they said they wanted nothing to do with it...odd I thought but whatever...I contacted a few other places but to my surprise no one wants to get into it but I have a guy in mind...he's up for the challenge so he and I are brainstorming as I type this!

It's gonna be a while as I have an old ES-335 headed into the shop next next week for some big time repairs but once that is over the Jr will be getting a new lease on life!
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

******, I had my response written up and accidentally went back page.

basically,

-have it routed out properly with jigs (just for peace of mind), if needed larger than regular size, maybe even swimming pool.
                    -SG pickguard, cut to match guard maybe?
                    -Tonepros TOM bridge (gotta have it intonate)
                    -Mount the humbuckers to the pickguard (this is a very personal choice, so I'll leave it up to you, but I'd go with some Seth Lovers, Antiquities or Pearly Gates')
                    -COLOR - natural satin or gold nitro

Comment

Dude.. Tung oil that, put a pickgaurd to cover the route, and go with the one P90 bridge and TOM and count your lucky stars. That guitar old SG junior will sound epic.
                      Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-28-2011, 07:40 PM.
                      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I'm thinking TV yellow and tortoise or black guard. P90s and wraparound.

It's not going to look exactly the same due to the cutaways being sharper, but it would still be amazing. Whether you want a neck pickup or not is completely up to you.

Comment

if it was mine i would almost be willing to fill in the wood cut out for the upper cut out... return it to as close as you can to stock specs... but i would think a soild colour is the only way to try and hide the repairs at this point...

Comment

that is a legendary piece of wood, show it to the world, bro! Don't hide it....

Comment

Here's a pic of a Gordon-Smith GS2...that's what I'd be looking for.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                                WTF!?!

Fill in that neck pup rout and the extra holes, fix it back up for the wraparound, shoot it black nitro and put a tort guard on it. Basically get it back to Jr status but leave the cutaways as they are.

my thoughts exactly. Then put a Duncan Antiquity P90 in, crank the action up & put a tube on it... Yeah baby yeah!!
                                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                                X