Big body, big tone- luv my explorer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big body, big tone- luv my explorer!

I love my explorer! I shy away from it cuz its so cumbersome (gotta get an SKB case..) Everytime I get it out of storage tho, I think this needs to be my #1. Ive always been a fan of the shape. (bad to the bone IMO) Ive been playing Lps lately and decided to get my "mistress" out (my black explorer is named "mistress" cuz she's sexy in black and my wife is jealous of her..). First, she plays great and has a HUGE tone. My wife even complains that its so loud unplugged that it wakes her up when she is asleep. Today, I plugged up to the practice amp and the C8/59b combo just sing.
    Anyhow, Its cool to have rediscovered her again the best part is it didnt cost a thing!
    Explorers rule!

Just wanted to gush and fire up some explorer appreciation!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Big body, big tone- luv my explorer!

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    I love my explorer! I shy away from it cuz its so cumbersome (gotta get an SKB case..) Everytime I get it out of storage tho, I think this needs to be my #1. Ive always been a fan of the shape. (bad to the bone IMO) Ive been playing Lps lately and decided to get my "mistress" out (my black explorer is named "mistress" cuz she's sexy in black and my wife is jealous of her..). First, she plays great and has a HUGE tone. My wife even complains that its so loud unplugged that it wakes her up when she is asleep. Today, I plugged up to the practice amp and the C8/59b combo just sing.
    Anyhow, Its cool to have rediscovered her again the best part is it didnt cost a thing!
    Explorers rule!

Just wanted to gush and fire up some explorer appreciation!
    Pics?
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Oh yeah, Explorers are IMO Gibson's best ever guitar shape (as opposed to the LP being their most popular and widely recognized...)

One day I just gotta get me one (doesn't have to be a Gibson, actually chances are it's not gonna be )
      Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
      I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
      Originally posted by That90'sGuy
      Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
        Pics?

Not the best, but you get the idea
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

You KNOW how I feel about them pointy bastages!

Enjoy it and make it the number 1.
          Aint no pro but I know what I like....
          Guitar to sound output:
          Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

LOL Gene! yeah, you friggin hate em doncha?

Now I A) have your atten
            B) been gushing how much I love this axe,

I have to let my gear ho side out and ask this.. how much diff in neck shape and overall playablity is a Standard?? Did you tell me they were closer to a 50s neck?

I figure a mistress needs a hot sister right?? hahaha :cool2

more pics of my honey:

Last edited by BloodRose; 05-28-2011, 10:19 PM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

That's awesome Bryan

I love explorers but because I'm short and relatively fat, they don't really suit me very well

Comment

Neck on a Hamer can vary. Older Vintage, '77-'81 tend to be slim. Newer ones come with both, Modern carve and Vintage carve and in between, because a lot of Standards are custom ordered. As with most guitars it will be a subjective thing. That said Hamer is the one brand I am confident buying unseen 99.99%.

Guitar to sound output:
                Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
                  That's awesome Bryan

I love explorers but because I'm short and relatively fat, they don't really suit me very well
                  thanks!

Was you tubing a bunch of scorpions vids today. Man they had a great tone and even better live...(mattias and Rudy) my kids thought it was pretty cool when I showed em he played a Gibby Explorer. A place we call the zoo...
                  Last edited by BloodRose; 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'm not much for black guitars, but those are two sweet beauties!
                    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                    Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                    Gibson EBO

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
                      I'm not much for black guitars, but those are two sweet beauties!
                      Thanks! Sadly, the Edwards Sykes was sold. Would LOVE another!!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

My black explorer has a set of pgs and tone pro bridge and tail piece. Incredible tone. Was my #1 til I got a couple les Paul axcess. I've used my explorer as backup to the axcess, cuz I know I can depend on her.

I recently tried out amps at guitar center and used a white explorer that was on sale. Tempted to pick it up cuz it sounded so good.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicexplorer View Post
                          My black explorer has a set of pgs and tone pro bridge and tail piece. Incredible tone. Was my #1 til I got a couple les Paul axcess. I've used my explorer as backup to the axcess, cuz I know I can depend on her.

I recently tried out amps at guitar center and used a white explorer that was on sale. Tempted to pick it up cuz it sounded so good.
                          you in jax fl? there has been a used white one at gc nearme that used to belong to one of the employees that has been taunting me...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Save your money BR for that Hamer USA Standard you know that you want. You find a nice used all Mahogany 1997 Hamer Standard and snap it up, you'll be "Explorer" set for Life.

Or you could Z it too. Dean USA is/has built some Cool stuff including Cream bound Black Zs that are SWEEET!!! Maybe a W/B/W/B/W bound ala LP Custom style Z grab ya? No mirror guard needed.

OOOH I've teased to much I think BR might have passed out...
                            Guitar to sound output:

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>>> WHUMP!!!! body hits floor>>>>>

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X