banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Techs. Don't you wish you could pry some away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techs. Don't you wish you could pry some away?

Lately, I've been setting up all the cheap obscure acoustic guitar's in a guy's collection. This guy grew up in the Bakersfield area, and is in a slightly younger age group than all the Bakersfield scene country stars. He has some killer old guitars.

But this one today just kills me, and it's not even the best one he brought me.
    He said this late 60's Fender Newport bolt on neck acoustic made the rounds....including Buck Owens to some capacity....and maybe half his friends! It's a worn out badass acoustic with the mojo. I want it so bad I'm almost ready to go hardball on the guy to get it. It came to me with rusty strings and needing an action job. I made it play killer, and it's making me crazy.

Imagine a 60's strat neck on a dry old acoustic!

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 06-06-2011, 10:34 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Techs. Don't you wish you could pry some away?

Way cool!!!!

Comment

I've been playing it for an hour now, and it's really making my wheels spin. I can't be buying guitars right now....money is tight. But this guitar is a gem.

I think i'm going to play the guitar down, and see if I can buy it as a wall hanger with a maximum price of $200. It's just a gamble. If he goes for it, I score. If he says "no way" I'll just accept it, and hand him his guitar back playing and sounding amazing.

I can't verify any proof of it being a well played Bakersfield scene guitar, but all indicators point to his story being correct. I know the guy, and it all adds up.

But the guitar is so cool. It absolutely blows away Fender's current version of this guitar.
      It's like bolting a 60's Fender strat neck to something that looks like Willie Nelson owned it. Beautifully woody sound with the feel of an electric.

The owner was a pawnshop picker in the early 80's, he tells me. The rest of his guitars have all given me the same reaction. I've set up an old Japanese D-28 replica that was killer, as well as a Gibson J-45 that made him almost cry when I handed it back to him playing like butter.

It bums me out that I don't own all three of these guitars he has.

Comment

That is very cool! Is that a new pickguard on it?
        Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Cool guitar. Good luck getting your hands on it.

I picked up a Sigma 25th anniversary acoustic from a customer a few months ago. There were only 100 of these made. Made in Japan for Martin, all solid wood, well built. The lady played it constantly and so it needs new frets and it has a loose brace and a few other minor issues, but will be a great guitar once I repair it. Think I gave her a 100 bucks and good deal on a new guitar and she was happy as hell.

Buck Owens rules!!

Comment

That is rad! I hope you're able to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              I've been playing it for an hour now, and it's really making my wheels spin. I can't be buying guitars right now....money is tight. But this guitar is a gem.

I think i'm going to play the guitar down, and see if I can buy it as a wall hanger with a maximum price of $200. It's just a gamble. If he goes for it, I score. If he says "no way" I'll just accept it, and hand him his guitar back playing and sounding amazing.

I can't verify any proof of it being a well played Bakersfield scene guitar, but all indicators point to his story being correct. I know the guy, and it all adds up.

But the guitar is so cool. It absolutely blows away Fender's current version of this guitar.
              It's like bolting a 60's Fender strat neck to something that looks like Willie Nelson owned it. Beautifully woody sound with the feel of an electric.

The owner was a pawnshop picker in the early 80's, he tells me. The rest of his guitars have all given me the same reaction. I've set up an old Japanese D-28 replica that was killer, as well as a Gibson J-45 that made him almost cry when I handed it back to him playing like butter.

It bums me out that I don't own all three of these guitars he has.
              Gearjonesen!

That looks like major Mojo!
              "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Well, no luck. He definitely wants his guitar.

But it's gonna cost him one day of me playing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  Well, no luck. He definitely wants his guitar.
                  What a selfish bastid he is !!!

Still, that guitar needs a Floyd, and it's not pointy enough, it hasn't got any pickups and it's got a big hole in the middle of it, so it's no great loss really.

He's still an inconsiderate barstool though.

Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

That gold pickguard is completely ridiculous but other than that, it ****ing rocks. Thanks for posting.
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                      That is very cool! Is that a new pickguard on it?
                      No, it's the old warped stock gold one. This 68 Fender Newporter is a real obscure gem. I don't remember gold pickguards. It's the only vintage Fender I've seen that came stock with one.....let me know of others that did.
                      Here's a link on the same guitar.

As for the guitar...the striking thing about it is the tone. I would have never expected a bolt-on acoustic to sound this good. For that reason, I didn't set it up with electric action. I set it up to be a great blues strummer, because it sounds so good that way.
                      You can tell by the body condition that it's the way it's always been played.
                      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 06-07-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

That is crazy cool. Isn't it amazing what can show up that you couldn't even imagine?

Now you've got my head going. I've got an old, cheap Yamaha acoustic with a neck thats virtually beyond repair. Hmmm . . .

Comment

I'm not really into acoustics, but that thing just has all kinds of mojo. Too bad he wouldn't come off of it for you. I'd have set it back up to play terrible and tell him it wasn't repairable then tried to get it off him for a wall hanger lol!
                          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Working...
                          X