Just ordered some locking rotomatics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered some locking rotomatics

My Peavey Reactor needed new tuners, and I found the Grovers for $45. Looking forward to getting the tele back up and running.

Anybody have these tuners on one of their guitars? I'm curious as to how the locking mechanism works without an outside screw unit.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Just ordered some locking rotomatics

The Les Paul I've got on layaway has these. I haven't used them yet, but I did look into this. When you turn the tuner during a restringing, the first thing it does is clamp down on the string. Then when that is locked in place, the mechanism engages and the whole tuning peg turns allowing you to bring it to pitch.

Comment

Re: Just ordered some locking rotomatics

I've got some on my LTD. When you restring the guitar, you need to loosen the tuners until the string stops moving. That means the head is unlocked. You can also unlock the heads by turning the top part of the post with a coin or something. Remove the strings, then turn the tuners until the hole is on the slack side of the post. For example, on a 6-in-line Strat head, the holes should be close to the floor than the sky. On a 3x3, the holes should be completely inboard, generally align with the nut slots. Then to string it, thread it through the hole, pull it hand tight and tune up to pitch. The tuner will look like it's not doing anything for a bit while it's locking up internally, then the string will start being pulled sharp. You should only get/need 1 or 2 full wraps around the peg this way.

Comment

Working...
      X