banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever feel like you get too caught up in all the hype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you ever feel like you get too caught up in all the hype?

In my own defense, I will say that since my means are limited, I did research before I bought any guitars and with pickups, I tried to pick what I thought would best suit the guitar. And what I had left have usually gone into a different one.. Ive tried very few different models in the grand scheme of things.. Ive tried only a small bunch of Dimarzios and other brands too.. So, I havent jumped on the hottest new everythign that comes out
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
      And I'm a random ******* from IReLand.

Let's go a-murderin'.
      Wouldn't that make you an ARSEhole?

Either way. I'm cool with it.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to play out this bizarre cross-continental Boondock Saintsian murder spree with you, the unacceptable possibility of Willem Defoe showing up forces me to decline (for now).
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I don't feel that I get caught up in outside hype. IE... I don't really care what the flavour of the week guitar/amp/pedal is on any given forum.

On the other hand, I feel that I tend to do my own thing, and that occasionally has me caught up in hype of my own design. For example, there was a period of time where I wanted to build a totally vintage inspired rig... old school amps, PAF/P90 pickups, fuzz, vibe, tape delay, etc. It was quite expensive, but the idea was my own and not something that was planted in my head.

In the end the idea didn't live up to my expectations... although it was extremely cool, it didn't actually jive with the way I wanted to play guitar. I spent a little while being lost as to what I actually wanted, then kind of fell back into what I was using previous to my big idea and have been quite happy since.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by voggin View Post
          Hey, if we all didn't succumb to the desire for new stuff all the time, the entire pyramid scheme we call an economy would collapse!
          +1. We're doing our part to assist the economic recovery!
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
            Wouldn't that make you an ARSEhole?

Either way. I'm cool with it.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to play out this bizarre cross-continental Boondock Saintsian murder spree with you, the unacceptable possibility of Willem Defoe showing up forces me to decline (for now).
            Hey Kam, if Sosomething's out I'll take his place. Need to restock the freezer anyway . . .
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I get caught-up in the hype like most, but my budget is limited enough that I can't just go-out and buy everything I want when I think I want it. Luckily, I'm fortunate enough to know people who DO have that budget, so I just live-off their "scraps" and buy gear cheap that they've GAS'd for and barely played.
              "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post

On the other hand, I feel that I tend to do my own thing, and that occasionally has me caught up in hype of my own design.

That's true. My "hype" is mostly created by my own ideas of what I think that I absolutely HAVE to have or "need". For instance, the time that I spent at TGP did NOT make me think that I just had to have a $5-40K single channel amp (thank goodness).
                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Not as much as I used to. Part of it is knowing what works/doesn't work for me and part of it is contentment with what I already have.

That's not stopping me from an imminent AxeFX 2 purchase. I sold off a ****load of gear over the weekend divesting stuff I don't use anymore and the Axe2 will only require a portion of the proceeds. That's definitely an indulgence but if I didn't have the cash on hand, I'd be more than content to keep my Ultra.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                  My Music

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    Hey Kam, if Sosomething's out I'll take his place. Need to restock the freezer anyway . . .

Just in case I wasn't clear

F*CK Willem Defoe.
                    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

F*CK Willem Defoe.
                      **** Willem Defoe? **** you, you ****ing ****. where the **** do you get off?
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Hey, man, I ain't fussy. Just as long as you don't get in my way. I don't have the best aim when I'm drunk and I rarely go killin' sober.

By the way, I like to do it wearing nothing but some blood stains and a pair of novelty fluffy bunny ears. Hopefully that's okay.

F*CK Willem Defoe.
                        What's your problem with Defoe? Catch too many glimpses of cawk in Antichrist? Scared by the confused feelings of arousal they caused?

It's okay, man. It's probably just the bloody violence and gore doing that. Happens to us all.

And on a serious and less ****ing weird note: Every time someone mentions Willem Defoe I get this really strong urge to listen to Jesus Christ Pose by Soundgarden.

So he can't be that bad.
                        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I am supremely practical, and highly self-focussed. Hype rarely gets me. I believe in a price performer over a pricey thing, I believe that 2% better is not worth 200% more.

I also at some point figured out that most of the sound was in the hands and using the ears to set the knobs.

a little hype every now and then is ok. But don't do it just because of the hype.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            using the ears to set the knobs
                            Way underrated skill. Some folks can dial in just about any POS to give up the goods.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                            My Music

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                              where the **** do you get off?
                              This is the first thing I thought of......

Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                              Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                                This is the first thing I thought of......

Me ENCANTA Isla Fisher!
                                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                                Originally posted by Zerberus
                                Better is often the enemy of good
                                Originally posted by ginormous
                                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                                X