Best Jazz Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Jazz Amp

Check out this clip, according to the Fuchs website, this is "from Scott Learner at www.scottlearner.com. This is Fuchs ODS-100 amp and Baker Robben Ford Guitar".

After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

That is a cool clip but the ODS-100 is modelled after a Dumble Overdrive Special not likely something that Joe Pass, Jimmy Bruno or Herb Ellis would be using to get their sound.

Jimmy had a deal with Fender for a while but I don't know what model he used, I am not much of a Jazzer . Something with a decent amount of clean headroom and a nice warm bottom end will suit you well. I know a few guys that have been using Gibson Goldtones lately which kind of surprised me because it's a great rocker. The old Gibson Lab Series work real well for Jazz also. Some of the GK stuff was pretty nice for it as well without breaking any banks.

Jimmy Bruno Group "Midnight Blue" from his website
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
        That is a cool clip but the ODS-100 is modelled after a Dumble Overdrive Special not likely something that Joe Pass, Jimmy Bruno or Herb Ellis would be using to get their sound.
        Oops, I just responded to the title, I missed the specific examples. My apologies
        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

I just bought a SWR Strawberry Blonde, and it sounds great for clean electric in a jazz style setting. All I do is turn the tweeter off, set the EQ and enhancer circuit to where I like them, get a bit of reverb in it (it has a great spring reverb) adn have at it with my Phat Cat loaded Sheraton.

It sounds great, even turned to 10, which is pretty loud for a 1x10, 80 watt SS combo (sealed back).

See if you can try one out, you might like it.

Oh, yeah, it's an awesome acoustic amp too.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

This may sound crazy, but the low input on the Marshall JMP is really warm and round and sounds great for jazz when using the bridge position of any guitar, check it out. I'd also go for a Fender Twin Amp, IMO any guitar with medium output humbuckers and a good Fender Amp sounds great for jazz.
            Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
            Ibanez RG1570 Custom
            PRS McCarty STD
            '71 Gibson SG Custom
            Bogner Alchemist 2x12
            Vox AD15VT

Comment

i'm telling you man, go look at the pignose g60, solid amp, cheap price, switch the speaker out and youre set. maybe tubes if you really want, but whatever
              Important Gear:
              Fender Standard MIM Strat
              Epiphone Standard Les Paul
              fender hot rod deluxe
              analogman ts-9
              dunlop 535Q wah

Comment

Polytones are light and small, which is why they are chosen for jazz gigs. I think they sound terrible though. A twin or a Blue Angel is the way to go.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A Blue ANgel, didn't think of that one, good call.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Judywater
                    Which one is warm and rich like johhny smith jazz guitar tone? nice chord melodies stuff

joe pass, jimmy bruno, herb ellis

Wes Montogmery played through a customized Fender Princeton. If my memory serves me correctly I believe the only customizing done was the 10" speaker was replaced with a 15". There is a Company in NEw Jersey making a replica of this. I cannot remember there name, but if I do I will post the info here. Many Jazz players play through polytones as was already mentioned, but I would add the old ones without the OD channel are the ones that most Jazz guys like. Another Amp that is very poular in the Jazz community is Acoustic Image. It is a very small amp that has amazing clarity and versatility. Check out there website.
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Most Fender tube amps make good jazz amps, just have to back down the treble a bit. Polytone does the job prety nicely as well.

Not too crazy about the Roland JC series for this, to my ears it sounds VERY cold and processed.
                      Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

My choice for a jazz amp would be an old Fender Deluxe or Super, or any of the non-metal style Mesa Boogies like a Nomad, 50 Caliber, any of the Mark series, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X