What a freaking day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a freaking day

NOTE: I realize I should have taken pictures during, but it was hot in my garage, and I was pissed off. Sorry guys.

I ordered a set of Grover Locking Rotomatics for my Peavey Reactor last week, and they got in last night. I knew beforehand that I'd have to ream the holes wider. "I know that I should use a drill press, but I've got a hand drill - how hard could it be?"

****ING HARD, THAT'S HOW

When I open the packaging of the tuners, it says that they need a 25/64ths hole. Since I don't have a drill bit of my own that size, I go over to my neighbor's to see if he has what I need. In addition to being a math genius, an appreciator of great music, a great dad, and all around great guy, he's quite handy with his... hands. He has a wide variety of tools, including a drill bit kit that was exactly what I was looking for.

I go back to my garage workbench, where I've rigged up a super ghetto system to make the neck stay put - bungee cords. As I'm about to drill right into my Tele neck, I think to myself, "Jordan, you're a genius, there's no debating that. BUT what if the drill screws you up and you ruin the neck? Let's find something to practice on."

So I find the neck for my first guitar - a behringer (they don't even deserve a capital B) stratoasster. I start off with the 25/64th bit, even though the hole is much smaller than that.

God, it was horrible. It's nearly impossible to hold the drill straight enough to get a completly straight hole. Splintering is inevitable - you can only hope that it'll be covered by the tuners and won't be too bad.

Once I had widened all six of the holes on the dummy neck, I proceeded to drill about 10 more holes into that headstock, just to get a feel for how the drill handled for the real thing.

Here are pictures of the finished product:

As I said, splintering is inevitable - I was lucky. Most of it was covered by the washers on the front and the tuner casing on the back. You can see some on the face above the low E tuner and on the back between the A and D tuners, and between the D and G tuners. Additionally, the tuners aren't lined up perfectly - exactly why you shouldn't use a hand drill. Overall though, I'm proud of my handiwork. It could have gone a lot worse.

Here's the kicker - I go to return the drill bit kit to my neighbor, and I tell him how my project went, mentioning that I wish I had a drill press. Of course, it turns out that he freaking has one and would have let me use it. Just my luck.

I'll post a review in a few days once I get some strings on her.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Well that was fun

The problem is that the hole is aready a reasonable size and so there is no real definite centre point for the larger drill to locate and centralise itself properly.

The best way is to make dowels to plug the old holes, either a tight press fit or a little bit of glue. Then you have a new piece of wood to work with and you can mark the centre and even drill a very small pilot hole first.

Even on a drill press, you'd have to securely clamp the neck / headstock to keep the hole centralised under the bit.

I was hoping to see a pic of the other headstock, with all the practice holes in it
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Re: Well that was fun

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
      The problem is that the hole is aready a reasonable size and so there is no real definite centre point for the larger drill to locate and centralise itself properly.

The best way is to make dowels to plug the old holes, either a tight press fit or a little bit of glue. Then you have a new piece of wood to work with and you can mark the centre and even drill a very small pilot hole first.

Even on a drill press, you'd have to securely clamp the neck / headstock to keep the hole centralised under the bit.

I was hoping to see a pic of the other headstock, with all the practice holes in it

^That's exactly how you do it!
      I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it left.

Comment

Re: What a freaking day

slap some masking tape over the area to be drilled

start hole on top
        drill half way thru
        start on back to finish

the splintering happens mostly as the drill exits the wood
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

A better choice of tools would have been a tapered reamer. You can get them at any hardware store, of Stewart MacDonald sells them specifically for peghead holes.

Last edited by Captain Tightpants; 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

^ This
            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Tightpants View Post
              A better choice of tools would have been a tapered reamer. You can get them at any hardware store, or Stewart MacDonald sells them specifically for peghead holes.

Si Senor
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Some of you guy should not be around tools.

If you don't have a reamer like the Stew Mac shown, you use increasing in size drill bits to ream.

No plugging, no splintering, no drama.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Even easier - go to home depot and buy an Irwin unibit set. No chipping, splintering and you get the exact size you need in wood or metal. Even for new or widening deeper holes you can start it with the unibit to get the diameter correct.

"that’s what is so good about the guitar — everyone can really enjoy themselves on it and have a good time, which is what it’s all about. Right?”

Jimmy Page

Comment

All of this is good, but what you should have done is start a thread here before doing it so that you would know all this stuff when you needed to.
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I dunno, call me crazy, but before I upgraded my Jackson to locking tuners, I measured the turner holes first and then bought some schaller tuners that fit.

It made the process a whole lot easier.

Comment

I use the uni-bit method. Works great, and no splintering.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                        Originally posted by Securb
                        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                          I feel dirty. This post was perfect for editing.

I didn't add a single word... Just left out words.
                          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Yup, I knew you were screwed from the phrase "I know that I should use a drill press..." because even that is so wrong. The repairman's reamer is the way to go. I don't wanna know what that fancy StewMac one goes for, but a normal hardware store one is fine for the occasional tuner replacement. They cost about $10, so there's no excuse.
                            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Sharpie + sandpaper.

When you can't go high-tech, go no-tech.
                              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X