Productive Insomnia! LP Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Productive Insomnia! LP Content

Since day 1 of me getting my 60's Tribute LP, I've not been very happy with the tone I've been getting. It's had this hollow kind of thunk to it. The guitar is very loud acoustically and it does it with all my amps, so I was kind of guessing it was the pickups. So tonight, I can't sleep and needed something to do. I figure eh, what the heck, might as well do some maintenance on ye old guit fiddles. Gave the Schecter a 1 over and then decided to change the strings and adjust the intonation a little bit where it was off on the LP.

When I went to take the strings off, I noticed that it was setup so that the strings were touching the back of the bridge and the tailpiece wasn't completely flat to the body. So I screwed the bushings all the way down and top wrapped the strings. Also noticed the fretboard looked a little dry, so I went dug out the boar oil! Holy Jeebus there's a pretty fretboard on that thing! It was pretty dry. I normally only use a small drop per fret, wipe it in, let it sit, then wipe off the excess. Usually it's done in one run. It took 3 drops of oil on most frets before I had extra standing.

So I get everything cleaned off, string it back up with some Dean Markley Nickles and go to tune it up and intonate it. I did all this unplugged. Get everything set in order, run over to the Marshall, plug, turned it down as low as I could.

BAM! No more hollow boxy tones coming from the guitar! I can't wait until later today to really crank it up and see what's what!
    Here's some pix. P.S. I took the guard off to see how it looks with out it.

Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: Productive Insomnia! LP Content

Nice man, real nice
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

Re: Productive Insomnia! LP Content

Thats a problem with most modern Gibsons. Glad to hear ya worked it out. You get the best tone with that TP slammed, but the break angle over the bridge cause the strings to touch. The (improper) neck angles in combo with the Nashville bridge are the culprits. Neck fit/angle is not as precise as it could/used to be and thats why the TP is usually sky high.

I understand that the ABR into the wood can cause more problems with folding over (had that problem on my Tokai), but if they went with a bigger diameter screw, they'd negate the majority of folding problems. But neck angle would really become critical then and the long tennon would become pretty much a necessity.

So yeah..never gonna happen except on Historics
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
      X