(slight) rant & a question: Neck shapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (slight) rant & a question: Neck shapes

One the biggest barriers I have with guitars these days is finding models with big necks.

Part of my issue is I have CTS and RSS in my fretting hand- a thinner flat neck (and/or small frets) is absolutely a sure way for me to have to stop playing for a few months until the numbness and pain goes away. My CTS/RSS issues really started with my MIA Dean Time Capsule- which featured a small but hard V neck that gradually tapered to a thin C shape towards the body. The thin/flat necks take far more effort for me to play , and thus fatigue/stress. My new Epiphone is a nice playing, good sounding inexpensive guitar, but the neck and frets are absolutely killing me-thus it's going up for sale.

However, even though I have hands on the smaller side of medium and shorter fingers I have ALWAYS liked bigger deep necks- long before my physical issues set in. More meat on the neck allows me to chord more comfortably, and bend more comfortably. I also prefer a neck that starts out big, and maintains even thickness- my partscaster was like that, my Tele nearly so.

Now try to find a big neck with (true) medium jumbo or larger frets on any guitar under a grand. There are very few- My Roadworn has a pretty good sized neck- its about the minimum I can deal with. Some of the less expensive Gibson SG models have the 59 profile, but they vary, some are quite a bit smaller than others- same with the Les Paul studio fadeds. There are some PRS SE models with the wide/fat which works pretty well for me too, but the SE's have shorter frets than their american counterparts, so its kind of a wash.

But the majority of guitars have thin flat necks- most Fenders have the thin/flat modern C, all Epiphones, ESP/LTDs, Ibanez (hah!) Jackson/Charvels, Schecters, MIK Deans, and down the line. I find it hard to fathom most people like that style of neck, but I guess it's the case based on the the mass of guitars with them.

How many of you folks prefer the thinner necks...or do you prefer bigger? Or somewhere in between? What's your fave neck?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: (slight) rant & a question: Neck shapes

I like 'em big and fat but like you I am bothered by the fact that most guitars always seem to have smallish necks and once you get into the lower priced guitars it's even more true...

I give props to PRS for using bigger necks on their imports!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I love the charvel neck shape. to me it is a between a thin C and D.
      I hate wizard necks, they feel like playing a yardstick.
      the charvel would be too thin for you jeff. the 59 LP profile,
      thats a massive neck!

Comment

I like em thin with big frets! I love the neck on my charvel. I cant play a LP or anything with a baseball bat 50s neck
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

I give props to PRS for using bigger necks on their imports!
          Word!

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
          I love the charvel neck shape. to me it is a between a thin C and D.
          I hate wizard necks, they feel like playing a yardstick.
          the charvel would be too thin for you jeff. the 59 LP profile,
          thats a massive neck!
          Thanks. I did see your reply in the Charvy thread I actually prefer the 57/58 necks which have even more shoulder and are not as tapered from nut to body as the 59. They are BIG all the way through. The 59 is "OK" for me- depends on the actual carve since they differ from guitar to guitar- some have felt glorious, some have less shoulder and that bothers my hand.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I like jumbo frets and big black block inlay on a maple neck (jazz)......I'm going blind lol
            BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
            Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
            Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
            Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
            Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
            Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
            Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
            Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
            Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
            Gibson EBO

Comment

I'm with you, it's garbage. Thinner feels a little easier to the casual player in guitar center. This isn't meant to say that there are "legitimate" players who prefer thinner. Apart from neck thickness this also goes for nut width, e.g. the MMEB insanity to only offer 1-5/8" nuts.

The guitars you might want to look out for are the '59 roundback shape necks from warmoth. That's a great simple half circle round shape. The PRS wide/fat neck might have too small frets for you but the profile is very good, too.

Comment

I like different types for different styles of music, but I mainly get around on thinner necks.

I will say that I prefer the Wizard II to the Wizard. It's just a little fatter and a smidge wider. Hamer Californian necks have a cool fat thin feel that I really dig.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  I'm with you, it's garbage. Thinner feels a little easier to the casual player in guitar center. This isn't meant to say that there are "legitimate" players who prefer thinner. Apart from neck thickness this also goes for nut width, e.g. the MMEB insanity to only offer 1-5/8" nuts.

The guitars you might want to look out for are the '59 roundback shape necks from warmoth. That's a great simple half circle round shape. The PRS wide/fat neck might have too small frets for you but the profile is very good, too.

I actually have been contemplating the "fatback" from warmoth along with the 59. I think the fatback would be even better(?). The PRS wide fat works well- My Starla, SC250, and McCarty all had them. The frets are nice sized on the american models, just on the SE's they use a cheaper shorter fret. I really need to go put an SE w/ WF through the paces to see if it's something I can deal with (or worth getting a re-fret to 6105s ), as I'm really digging that new Bernie Marsden SE, and 245 SE.

Comment

The Ibanez SZ320/520 series guitars have a wide, thick neck with medium frets though.
                    It's thicker than any PRS SE neck I've tried.

And used they go so cheap that a refret could be worth it actually.

So don't laugh at Ibanez m'kay?
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      The Ibanez SZ320/520 series guitars have a wide, thick neck with medium frets though.
                      It's thicker than any PRS SE neck I've tried.

And used they go so cheap that a refret could be worth it actually.

So don't laugh at Ibanez m'kay?
                      I've tried those guitars on several occasions- they are better than most Ibby wiz style necks, but still too thin. Best Ibby neck I've tried is the old carve from the original Destroyer IIs like the DT400 (the Y2K reissues also had the same carve). Not really deep but they had a good shoulder on them that was fairly comfy for me..more like a "U" shape.

I saw that the Paul Gilbert sig iceman type thing has a huge neck...it's also $2K plus

Comment

Believe it or not Eddie van halen is responsible for the wide/thin neck shape.
                        Back in 78 he bought his first replacement neck from wayne charvel who was selling boogie bodies necks at that time. The neck he bought was a 1-3/4 nut and extra thin in the back shape. He happened to mention this to GP mag in a interview and everyone wanted wide flat necks from charvel all of a sudden. Mike eldred from charvel was the guy who shaped the famous charvel san dimas profile(wide nut and thin C meets D shape back) because of the numerous requests from VH fans ordering charvels. then later ibanez came out with the original wizard which too this idea to the extreme.
                        Think about it how many extra thin necks were there prior to charvel's debut?
                        I cant think of any that thin?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                          I've tried those guitars on several occasions- they are better than most Ibby wiz style necks, but still too thin. Best Ibby neck I've tried is the old carve from the original Destroyer IIs like the DT400 (the Y2K reissues also had the same carve). Not really deep but they had a good shoulder on them that was fairly comfy for me..more like a "U" shape.

I saw that the Paul Gilbert sig iceman type thing has a huge neck...it's also $2K plus
                          Still too thin?

Wow, I need to try more guitars.

Hope you find the right one! The Warmoth idea doesn't sound half bad.
                          I mean we could discuss bolt-ons and tonal qualities and this and that, but this is a medical issue and comfort has to be your first priority.
                          I'd do it.
                          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                            I actually have been contemplating the "fatback" from warmoth along with the 59. I think the fatback would be even better(?). The PRS wide fat works well- My Starla, SC250, and McCarty all had them. The frets are nice sized on the american models, just on the SE's they use a cheaper shorter fret. I really need to go put an SE w/ WF through the paces to see if it's something I can deal with (or worth getting a re-fret to 6105s ), as I'm really digging that new Bernie Marsden SE, and 245 SE.
                            Not sure about the fatback. The boatneck sucks, it's way too much.

I had a SE soapbar and a McCarty shortly after each other and the McCarty had just the right neck profile and neck everything. The SE didn't but I didn't measure to see what was "off".

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                              Still too thin?

Wow, I need to try more guitars.

Hope you find the right one! The Warmoth idea doesn't sound half bad.
                              I mean we could discuss bolt-ons and tonal qualities and this and that, but this is a medical issue and comfort has to be your first priority.
                              I'd do it.
                              Maybe too thin is not the right term....just not beefy enough. The shorter frets didn't help. But definitely those necks may be large for a modern Ibanez, but they are small compared to the types of necks I prefer the most.

Looks like they discontinued those SZ models- a shame- they were nice guitars. I did see the AS73/93 has a bit beefier neck than usual, AND large frets- the older artcore semis had short frets. May have to give one of those a whirl, as I've had Semi-hollow GAS for a few years now.

Comment

Working...
                              X