Doncha just hate it when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doncha just hate it when...

... you reverse the expensive upgrade/mods that you made on a guitar with a view towatds selling it. Only then do you realise that it is too good to let it go?

There is a guy in my area who claims that he would have bought my LTD EC-401w if it still had EMGs in it rather than the SD Live Wire Classic II humbuckers that I had installed. With this idea in mind, I decided to try out my "spare" EMG-HA in the neck position. Despite its Les Paul-inspired construction, the LTD now sounds very Stratty. Funk, jazz and Bluesy tones are all there to be wrangled out of the instrument.

Nuts! With an EMG-X humbucker in the bridge position, I may be "forced" to keep this axe.

Re: Doncha just hate it when...

That same thing has happened to me - but by accident!

I had a set of Gibson BurstBucker Pros in my 335, and I sold the pickups out of it (actually, traded for a Tele body, decent deal).

To make it playable while I cruised SDUGF and TGP for replacement pickups, I had to throw whatever pickups I had laying around in it.

It got a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge, and I think a Jackson neck humbucker.

Wull color me stupified --- it sounds amazing. Way better fit than the BB Pros.

So now it is super ugly (one black, one chrome covered) because that guitar begs for zebras, but it sounds delicious.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Re: Doncha just hate it when...

I bet this story happens a million times in this forum. I modded my Peavey Tele for dual humbuckers. Then I installed the infamous 59/C5 combo. Loved it. Then I decided to sell it and swapped in a "cheap-ish" Duncan Designed Jazz/JB set.

Its probably my favorite guitar now. Not for sale.

Comment

Working...
      X