0 fret conversion nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 fret conversion nut

Hi all you duncan diddlies, I have been reading a few forums regarding 0 fret guitars. A lot of people think there only on cheap older guitars, but not to many people know that veiger use them on a lot of there guitars. To add to that guitar hero olaf lenk uses one.

So i went out to the shed and came up with a rough prototype for a 0 fret conversion nut that will fit most modern guitars. i haven't tried/set it up it yet but it will give you a idea of what it is.

Any positive advice would be good.

Re: 0 fret conversion nut

The intonation will be off. Very simple reason: the 'edge' of the fret is at its center (second picture). The 'edge' of the nut is at its very end and this should be the only point of contact for the string.

You'd need to (and I of course do not condone doing it yourself as it could seriously damage your guitar!) file the fingerboard by half the width of the fret so that the top of it is right at the center of where the edge of the nut used to be.

Comment

donīt do it.

factory installed zero frets are fine and work fine. but what is the purpose of adding a zero fret to a guitar that doesnīt need one ?

Comment

I'm wondering that myself. Why add one? What does it do that just using a nut wont give you? Not coming down on you or anything I'm just not sure what the purpose would be.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          I'm wondering that myself. Why add one? What does it do that just using a nut wont give you? Not coming down on you or anything I'm just not sure what the purpose would be.
          It would give all open strings the sound of a fretted string. but if you are adding a 0 fret to a guitar without one you would be better off just getting a new fret board with a 0 fret installed.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
            Hi all you duncan diddlies, I have been reading a few forums regarding 0 fret guitars. A lot of people think there only on cheap older guitars, but not to many people know that veiger use them on a lot of there guitars. To add to that guitar hero olaf lenk uses one.

So i went out to the shed and came up with a rough prototype for a 0 fret conversion nut that will fit most modern guitars. i haven't tried/set it up it yet but it will give you a idea of what it is.

Any positive advice would be good.
            Also i agree with this statement because almost all Gretsch guitars and all Steinbergers have them and a lot of famous guitarist use them. I.e. Brian May, Tony Iommi, Malclom Young,etc.

Comment

i understand what you said about the 0 fret needing to come closer to the saddles but would it really affect it to the point where the intonation would be out? And could you not just compensate this via the saddles? If i had to file it closer, it would not be a hard job. I think i may try it on one of my less loved guitars.

My whole idea behind this conversion nut was to find a solution for all the people who are keen on 0 frets, so in saying that this thread is not about if you like 0 frets or not. and more about if the conversion nut could work. This aint no nut vs 0 fret debate, lol
              Last edited by kramersteen; 06-25-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X