banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody had a Fender maple neck refretted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody had a Fender maple neck refretted?

My blue MIM's frets are pretty beat - they were that way when I got it. Mostly divots under hte high string down in the cowboy-chord area. Also, they are the older MIM vintage frets, and I'd prefer medium-jumbo.

I hear that refretting a maple neck is a PITA, requires refinishing, more expensive than a MIM neck is worth, yadda, yadda, yadda. Even if I had somebody refret it, I have more work to do. There are a couple bad dings in the back of the neck that I need to drop-fill and sand out.

On the other hand, I like the idea of keeping the guitar whole. It was a mess when I got it, mostly problems due to an f'ed up neck pocket. I fixed that on my own, shimmed the neck, put on a 3-saddle Wilky bridge, and the guitar came alive. I've kinda gotten attached to the guitar as-is, because of how my work paid off.

On the other other hand, I'm thinking a rosewood board would look good on this axe. I normally think Fenders should ha ve maple, but the rosewood would really work well on the light blue body. I'm thinking a MIM Standard or Blacktop Tele neck off eBay.

Meh... pluses and minuses. Anyway, just so I know; what's a maple neck refret worth? How much extra is that over a comparable rosewood-board job?
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Anybody had a Fender maple neck refretted?

It all depends on how much you care about the aesthetics. I'm guessing I'll have to refret my maple Strat neck within a few months and I'm doing it myself. WTF, right? A few chips here and there, maybe some super glue to fill the gaps. I'm more interested in playability and tone than looks. Fenders are supposed to be worn out and beat up right? We're a whole different breed than those Gibby guys who freak out when there's a fingerprint on their ax.

Comment

You could buy a new (better) neck for what a refret will cost you. Unless you really want to keep the original neck, sell it and buy a new neck from Warmoth, USACG or Musikraft.
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        You could buy a new (better) neck for what a refret will cost you. Unless you really want to keep the original neck, sell it and buy a new neck from Warmoth, USACG or Musikraft.
        True. The reason I'm doing it myself is to learn how to (not?) do it. You still have to do a little finishing work on the frets with Warmoths and the like though, if you like the edges rolled and things to be smoothed out.

Comment

In Europe a re-fret is basically the cost of a second hand MiM Strat... It hurts when you guys talk so lightly of fret level/dressing and refretting.

However I agree with Warmoth: then you have a spare neck on which to practice refretting yourself for next time

Comment

It's difficult to say whether frets with visible notches need to be replaced or not. The light reflecting off the top of the frets and breaking on the notch makes it appear deeper than it is.

My experience is that I just level and see whether that does it. So far it always did.

Comment

You have played one already...my Strat was refretted with 6100's.

Rich, if you like the neck, get it refretted. I got mine done for about 150.00 along with a new bone nut and the work was very good.
              Originally posted by tone4days
              we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill View Post
                I got mine done for about 150.00 along with a new bone nut and the work was very good.
                That's on the cheap side from what I hear. Where did you get a deal like that?
                "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
                  That's on the cheap side from what I hear. Where did you get a deal like that?
                  J. Gravity Strings in St. Louis....Jimmy has done work for me for dang near 25 years and has always done good work.

Comment

That is half of what the cheapest re-fret you can get around here. Literally- best price I've been quoted is $300.

Then again, I'm in New England , and everything is overpriced.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                      That is half of what the cheapest re-fret you can get around here. Literally- best price I've been quoted is $300.

Then again, I'm in New England , and everything is overpriced.
                      I am pretty sure he gives me a little break because he does all the work that I don't....frets....new nuts, etc.

Comment

I think the best course of action is to sell the current neck at a good price, so it sells quickly (with the buyer aware of the fret wear)

Then add some money, and buy another neck. I prefer buying ones that came off a good quality Fender, just because it requires little more than bolting it on......less surprises.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                        X