SS Saddles Vs. Regular Saddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Saddles Vs. Regular Saddles?

I'm doing some upgrades on my strat, all new hardware and new trem with a steel block and everything. But I was wondering how much of a difference steel saddles make? I was planning on getting some to try out but I've been told that they make strings break more. Are they worth it or not?
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Re: SS Saddles Vs. Regular Saddles?

I just got some SS saddles and I like them so far.

oh btw, Get a brass block, you'll thank yourself later.
    88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Comment

Graph Tech is the worlds largest nut and saddle manufacturer. The makers of Tusq, String Saver Saddles, Ratio Tuners, and many other high quality Guitar Upgrade Parts and accessories. We have everything you need to upgrade your guitar, bass, ukulele, mandolin and many other stringed instruments!

If you don't mind the modern look I would recommend the Ferraglide saddles made by Graphtech. They have the look of the "American Standard" Strats but have a graphite insert so string breakage is at a minimum. I have these on all my Strats & Teles(about 8 fenders in all have them) I also have them on quite a few Gibsons. The primary reason I installed them was to prevent strings from breaking but they added some warmth to my tone as well. You can loose a little of the chime but hardly noticeable to my ears.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
        I just got some SS saddles and I like them so far.

oh btw, Get a brass block, you'll thank yourself later.
        Do you have any problems with string breaking or anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
          http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=56

If you don't mind the modern look I would recommend the Ferraglide saddles made by Graphtech. They have the look of the "American Standard" Strats but have a graphite insert so string breakage is at a minimum. I have these on all my Strats & Teles(about 8 fenders in all have them) I also have them on quite a few Gibsons. The primary reason I installed them was to prevent strings from breaking but they added some warmth to my tone as well. You can loose a little of the chime but hardly noticeable to my ears.
          Ok cool. I was just wanting to upgrade them to improve the tone, I'm not having any problems with string breaking right now. I might check these out. If the SS saddles break strings I might just stick with the stock saddles on the new trem.

Comment

What kind of Strat is it and what kind of trem are you going to use?

I ask because, Callaham makes awesome saddles, and well, they make them for MIA (both offset and center hole screw) and MIM spacing. I'm not entirely sure on the spacing Squier or Fender Japan use on most models, so if either, that might be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tc View Post
              What kind of Strat is it and what kind of trem are you going to use?

I ask because, Callaham makes awesome saddles, and well, they make them for MIA (both offset and center hole screw) and MIM spacing. I'm not entirely sure on the spacing Squier or Fender Japan use on most models, so if either, that might be a problem.
              I'm going with a GFS trem, they also have steel saddles for a good price. I don't want a Callaham just because this is a cheaper guitar, it was actually my first guitar, I want to upgrade a bit it but I don't want to spend a TON of money, I'm changing many other things besides the trem too. Its actually a good player, I just want it to sound better. Its a Korean made Austin strat copy.
              Last edited by guitarkid; 06-29-2011, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Nice! GFS has an amazing price/quality ratio man. Go for it. Just send them an e-mail before ordering, just to make sure the spacing is exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by tc View Post
                  Nice! GFS has an amazing price/quality ratio man. Go for it. Just send them an e-mail before ordering, just to make sure the spacing is exactly the same.
                  Aright thanks man! I'll post a new thread with some pics after I get the guitar all finished. It has a trans-black flame top so it should look pretty sweet with all black hardware that I'm going to get for it. I guess I'll just going ahead and order the SS saddles too, if they start breaking strings I'll just put the stock saddles off the new trem back on. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                    Ok cool. I was just wanting to upgrade them to improve the tone, I'm not having any problems with string breaking right now. I might check these out. If the SS saddles break strings I might just stick with the stock saddles on the new trem.
                    You have to be careful in measuring to make sure you get the right one. I ordered a set from MF & they were way ti wide, I returned them & ordered them directly from Graphtech. I wound up paying about 25$ more for them but they fit perfectly & it took less then 20 minutes to change them.
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                      You have to be careful in measuring to make sure you get the right one. I ordered a set from MF & they were way ti wide, I returned them & ordered them directly from Graphtech. I wound up paying about 25$ more for them but they fit perfectly & it took less then 20 minutes to change them.
                      Alright thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure I get everything measured right before I make an order.

Comment

Damn... those large moving .gif sigs are ANNOYING AS HELL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
                          Damn... those large moving .gif sigs are ANNOYING AS HELL!!!!
                          Sorry :/,

Now, I dont have any trouble with string breaks. They have been doing me fine so far.
                          88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
                          Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
                          Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
                          Vox NightTrain 50.
                          My Band

Comment

Working...
                          X