Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life of a pick....

Or how it shrank, more correctly!
    I like tortoise like picks....celloid is nice......but I wear them down fast!
    Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 07-19-2011, 01:57 AM.

Re: Life of a pick....

Ha ha... use an actual tortoise instead! You know, I'm sure that I recently read that Malcolm Young gets through up to 50... yes 50 picks per gig!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by d1dsj; 06-28-2011, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Can't get that anymore.....
      And I also use my fingers as well.....but they wear down fast nomatter what
      (the picks that it is)

Comment

Man, I don't miss blowing through picks like that.

Comment

I go through picks reasonably fast. I really like these gravity thing-a-ma-bobs so hopefully they don't do that.
          Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
          Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I sand my picks. I use these small teardop Ibanez picks exclusively, but sadly, they're quality is way up the proverbial **** creek, so after they wear down a bit, I actually sand them down a bit, to get the edges back. Since they're made from a two-ply material, and the glue they use to sandwich them seems resitant to neither heat nor sweat, I actually superglue them together as well from time to time...

... Yes, I know, I'm relentlessly cheap.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I'm too sensitive to changes in tone and pick attack to let my pick become that worn down.

Comment

The Tortex picks wear really well. I actually prefer them a bit worn. They seem to create a more playable surface after a while. The Stubby that like so much wears pretty well but the point goes away after a short time, which is good because it softens the attack.

Obviously I like my picks a bit worn.

Comment

I've tried a million picks and I always come back to Fender 351 Heavy gauge (or extra heavy if I can find 'em!)...they feel and sound the best to me but I still burn through 2 dozen or more per gig!
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                    I've tried a million picks and I always come back to Fender 351 Heavy gauge (or extra heavy if I can find 'em!)...they feel and sound the best to me but I still burn through 2 dozen or more per gig!
                    2 dozen per gig? seriously?
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                      Or how it shrank, more correctly!
                      I like tortoise like picks....celloid is nice......but I wear them down fast!
                      Interesting choice of pick! Isn't that a mandolin pick?

I use Dunlop .88 picks & I never really broke one but occasionally I will file a new point on it. How cheap is that? I buy my picks a gross at a time & I file the tips! I am pretty certain I have a lifetime supply of picks.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I like the drop shape, fits well when I play, and is easy to hide away when I use my fingers instead.
                        I file them when they gets too round....last a couple of weeks more that way

Comment

What in the world are you guys doing to your picks

IanB: I concur. I like the tortex point slightly worn. I'm not interested in picks that have the same shape on all corners. I USE the rounded edge when I want a softer tone.
                          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

It's cellouid...it wears out...but has a very nice sound

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
                              The Tortex picks wear really well. I actually prefer them a bit worn. They seem to create a more playable surface after a while. The Stubby that like so much wears pretty well but the point goes away after a short time, which is good because it softens the attack.

Obviously I like my picks a bit worn.

Heh, wanna bet it's only a matter of time before someone starts selling relic'd and aged picks?
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                              X