banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any truss rod experts out there? This is a tough one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any truss rod experts out there? This is a tough one...

OK, this is complicated so I will try my best to detail everything. I'm at a total loss at this point.

I got a Drive WildFire X² recently in a trade. Long story short, the dude lied to me telling me it had SD Seth Lovers in it and it didn't...it had stock pups.

Anyway, other than that, the guitar looked and felt good, played good, but strings were old and corroded. I liked the guitar, so I made the trade.

I changed out the pickups and the electronics, and changed the strings to a set of 9s that I had lying around and all of a sudden I was getting loads of buzzing. No buzzing on open strings. Seems mostly on the wound strings and in the middle area of the neck.

It should be noted that the frets are all good and level and in flawless shape. There is no twisting or warping of the neck. There was NO buzzing with the old dead strings either.

The neck dead straight, maybe a hair back bowed, so I went to loosen the truss rod slightly and guess what? It was all the way loosened! Not only that, but when I went to pull out my Allen wrench, the whole truss rod slid towards the headstock in it's channel! I grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliers and the whole truss rod came right out of the neck!

I guess at this point that I should point out that the pull of the strings was still not enough to bring in a forward bow in the neck even with the truss rod completely removed from the neck!! I took the 9s off and put a set of 10s on, but that didn't change anything either.

In an act of desperation, I pulled the truss rod hard against my knee and forced a bit of a bow into the rod itself and put it back into the neck. This actually gave it a TINY amount of forward bow, enough to really lessen the buzzing, but I still need more. I am afraid that the truss rod will straighten itself out over time and the bad buzzing will return at that point.

Are there any luthiers or other experts on truss rods that can give me some good advice? Other than this, the guitar is just amazing. It's a set neck, so swapping necks is not an option. Thanks for any advice!!
    Last edited by DalyTek; 06-30-2011, 04:16 PM.
    "Thanks to my trusty safety sphere, I surblibed with only tribial bray dabblage."
    -Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Check out my guitar forums at http://www.shreddersforum.com!

Re: Any truss rod experts out there? This is a tough one...

Is the fretboard slab? Meaning a slab of rosewood or ebony on maple or whatever other. Sounds like you will need to have an experience tech fix this. The rod is most likely broken and will need to be replaced. Can be done by steaming the neck, getting fretboard off and installing a new rod then putting the fretboard back on. After that, best to have the neck treated and straightened and the frets leveled and dressed. Could cost more than the guitar is worth.

Comment

Yes, it's a bound rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. The truss rod doesn't appear to be broken, but it's clearly not anchored in the neck, which I assume it is supposed to be. No other pieces rattling around in there or anything... Taking it to a guitar tech for anything would cost more than the guitar is worth.
      Last edited by DalyTek; 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM.
      "Thanks to my trusty safety sphere, I surblibed with only tribial bray dabblage."
      -Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Check out my guitar forums at http://www.shreddersforum.com!

Comment

There is something that some shops do called a "heat press". It is a way to straighten necks that a truss rod adjustment can't help. It doesn't always hold, and I don't think it is ever guaranteed to work, but it might be worth a shot depending on how you value your instrument.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X