Blacktop Or MIM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacktop Or MIM

I basically decided that, the Charvel is gonna be a purchase for later on. Maybe in a year or so. Buuut I still want a new guitar, and since I have a fetish for strats with humbucker I started looking into Blacktops. Now my question is, are the quality of blacktops the same as MIM strats? I remember reading somewhere on here that they weren't but I just wanted to make sure.
    88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Re: Blacktop Or MIM

I believe that the Blacktops have a swimming pool routing underneath the pickguard.

Just something to be aware of.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

they are basically the same guitar with different pickups

one comes with a gigbag, the other has humbuckers

if you can afford a blacktop you're only $300 away from your charvel...i'd save up a li'l more and get what you really want bro...
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        they are basically the same guitar with different pickups

one comes with a gigbag, the other has humbuckers

if you can afford a blacktop you're only $300 away from your charvel...i'd save up a li'l more and get what you really want bro...
        I was gonna buy used :| and I haven't seen any used charvels
        Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
        Vox NightTrain 50.
        My Band

Comment

MIM Fat Strat all the way. Swimming pool routes have always thrown me off; unless I know I'm gonna turn it into an HSH.

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
            I was gonna buy used :| and I haven't seen any used charvels
            okay...so it makes sense to buy a new Blacktop instead of a used Charvel?

does not dispute my point...haha

you could get a used MIM Strat and hot-rod it and have a great guitar for around that $500...but i still think you'd be happier saving up for the guitar you really want, especially when your budget is so close.

Comment

I think you should save. Get what you want the first time and be done with it.
              Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
              Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

get a mij imo they are right on par with entry lvl american strats.

Comment

The other guitarist in my band has been playing his new Blacktop Jaguar a lot recently and it's a really nice guitar.

Good feel, good tone, and pretty much perfect fit and finish.

I don't know if they're consistently that good - it's the only one I've played - but at the price he paid, his guitar is a fantastic value.

I think I have the reputation as a gear elitist around here... (I don't think I am, but others seem to) so take that into account. When I tested out his Blacktop, I had to put down my Suhr to do it. It didn't make me want to sell my Suhr, but I certainly found things to enjoy about the Blacktop.
                  -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    okay...so it makes sense to buy a new Blacktop instead of a used Charvel?

does not dispute my point...haha

you could get a used MIM Strat and hot-rod it and have a great guitar for around that $500...but i still think you'd be happier saving up for the guitar you really want, especially when your budget is so close.
                    Yeah true, But Either way Im getting something I like, I love strat bodies. I like humbuckers. I also like trems and Maple/maple necks. I played both and the only thing wrong with the blacktops neck was that it was finished and I'm sure I can find a MIM with an un-finished neck or even just take off the finish on the blacktops neck.
                    Vox NightTrain 50.
                    My Band

Comment

i'm pretty sure every MIM i've ever played has had a glossy finished neck man

worth saving another couple hundred just to not have to go buy sanding supplies and potentially ruin your neck

Comment

The thing you have to know about buying used is that you need lots of patience to find what you want at a good price.

Right now, there aren't any used Pro-Mods for sale, but trust me, the moment you jump the gun on a Blacktop you'll see a white San Dimas or something post up on your local Craigslist. So wait it out, save up and keep the cash handy, so when that Charvel pops up on eBay or CG, you'll be the one to grab it.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
                          I basically decided that, the Charvel is gonna be a purchase for later on. Maybe in a year or so. Buuut I still want a new guitar, and since I have a fetish for strats with humbucker I started looking into Blacktops. Now my question is, are the quality of blacktops the same as MIM strats? I remember reading somewhere on here that they weren't but I just wanted to make sure.
                          I have a MIM strat (older small fret model) HH. I put a USA Custom neck on it a set of DZ 36ths, Warmoth pickguard and Callahan block on it. It is a nice guitar. It was a HSH routed body.

Here it is before the 36th were added.

Comment

The blacktop i tried was amazing for the money!

Comment

Working...
                            X