Les Paul Studio with faux binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Les Paul Studio with faux binding

The binding would actually be the edge of the maple cap, yeah ?

Did you ever think about going the whole way and stripping the top to see what lay underneath ?
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
      The binding would actually be the edge of the maple cap, yeah ?

Did you ever think about going the whole way and stripping the top to see what lay underneath ?
      Yes and yes. That was initially the plan, i just worked the sides off to see what it looked like. I didn't expect to like it actually!! I may yet still strip the top off at some point, but I'm gonna leave it like this for a while.

Ace, I just carefully used paint stripper on the sides taking extra care to keep it away from the top. Then i just sanded it starting with 220 to 440 grit. It's got it's 3rd coat of tung oil drying as we speak.

I am SERIOUSLY considering cracking out the router for this look, tho....

Not Ace's most famous guitar, but it's the one that made me pick the guitar up.
      Last edited by Captain Tightpants; 07-02-2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Gee, I would have thought you would have stripped the top and done it in a "browncoat", Captain Tightpants, lol.

That guitar looks sick, dude. I'll bet there's going to be a LOT of people stripping their studios now or looking for beat up ones to do this to. Heck, if I had the dough, I'd be one of them. Great job man, well done.
        My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
        or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
        http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
        700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

"browncoat"

Thanks for the compliment, I am more than a little surprised at how pleased I am with it..

Comment

Two Thumbs Up.
            A set of wood knobs matching the back, might be nice compliment.

Comment

Looks very sharp. What did you do with the back of the neck? I cannot really tell from the photos.
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

The back of the neck has been rockin' the bare look for a while now. Shaved that long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Barron1 View Post
                  Did it change the tone when you exposed the back?
                  Honestly, I don't really know. It seems livelier and I'm really enjoying it much more than I ever have before, and I want to say "Hellz yeah, it sounds LOADS better," but I'm not really sure it actually sounds any different.

I suspect, if I'm being totally honest, any sound improvement I'm hearing is probably a psychological one. One way or the other, I've been far more apt to play it than i have before. Usually I'll play it for a bit, then put it down and grab something else, but not so the last couple of days.

Comment

What sort of time did it take to remove the paint/sand down to a good wood finish. I've got a Les Paul Studio which has some ugly repair marks and this seems like a good way to hide them as much as possible.

Comment

Your operation turned that into a guitar I really don't care for into a guitar I like a lot!
                      Success!
                      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Tightpants View Post
                        The back of the neck has been rockin' the bare look for a while now. Shaved that long ago.
                        Did you sand down to a stinger? That's always a great look.
                        A bunch of Strats, some Gibsons, a couple clonewheels, a few Fender amps, various stompboxes

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                          Your operation turned that into a guitar I really don't care for into a guitar I like a lot!
                          Success!
                          Thank you!!

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                          What sort of time did it take to remove the paint/sand down to a good wood finish. I've got a Les Paul Studio which has some ugly repair marks and this seems like a good way to hide them as much as possible.
                          All of "Battle Los Angeles" and maybe 1/2 to 2/3rd of the way throug the "True Grit" remake to strip and sand, plus maybe a couple of hours of careful prep sanding for the Tung Oil.

2 days from first application of paint stripper to final wipedown of the dried tung oil.

The real trick was making sure I kept the paint stripper off the top, it was trickier than you might think. Flecks of paint with stripper on them were a bear to deal with, don't know how I kept them from ruining the top.

Comment

Working...
                          X