Finishing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing help

I am ordering a USACG guitar soon, and I thought that I could save a few bucks by finishing it myself. I'm a complete, 100% finishing noob, so I need some help. It's going to be a sunburst finish, which is a pretty big project for a beginner. I watched this video...

...and thought it would be a good idea to use his technique to "pop the grain". It will be swamp ash, so I assume it will need grain filler. Here's my uneducated plan:

1. Apply grain filler
    2. Apply a little water to the wood
    3. Put on amber and black, then sand it off
    4. Apply my burst colors and blend them
    5. Finish it off with a few layers of tru-oil

Is any of this correct? Am I on the right track?

Re: Finishing help

"Thanks to my trusty safety sphere, I surblibed with only tribial bray dabblage."
    -Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Check out my guitar forums at http://www.shreddersforum.com!

Comment

Re: Finishing help

Originally posted by CountFunkula View Post
      I am ordering a USACG guitar soon, and I thought that I could save a few bucks by finishing it myself. I'm a complete, 100% finishing noob, so I need some help. It's going to be a sunburst finish, which is a pretty big project for a beginner. I watched this video...

...and thought it would be a good idea to use his technique to "pop the grain". It will be swamp ash, so I assume it will need grain filler. Here's my uneducated plan:

1. Apply grain filler
      2. Apply a little water to the wood
      3. Put on amber and black, then sand it off
      4. Apply my burst colors and blend them
      5. Finish it off with a few layers of tru-oil

Is any of this correct? Am I on the right track?
      That was a pretty cool video! I bookmarked the page because I have a project in mind that's going to require some staining! Rock out man!
      Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Working...
      X