ULTIMATE SDUG Acoustic Preliminaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ULTIMATE SDUG Acoustic Preliminaries

Sorry it took me a few extra days to make some new pics.

This one was made in 1968 as a prototype for Dolly Parton when she was playing with Porter Wagner. My grandpa made the neck from a Walnut taproot from his boyhood home. The resonator is Mahogany and made from his grandmothers kitchen table. It was one of the best sounding instruments he ever built and he built hundreds. He gave it to my dad after it was built. It was sent on a museum tour during the late 70's and was insured for $25k. It came up missing and stayed gone for close to 3 years and was found in storage at one of the State museums in Montgomery.Funny they couldn't find it until the $25k claim was made. It's been here ever since.

My grandpa has instruments scattered through museums and professional private artists all over the country. He has one that is in the Smithsonian.

Here's a small site from the State on my grandpa for anyone interested in more info about him.

Cullman County native Arlin Moon (1917-2008) was a nationally known and celebrated stringed instrument maker, musician, and music promoter. Born in Holly Pond, Cullman County, on March 12, 1917, to Willie S. Moon and Eula Barnett Moon, Arlin grew up in a musical family. Both his parents and several uncles played fiddle, banjo, and piano. […]

Here's a picture of him from the 70's from one of the documentaries they made.

And here's my entry for the accoustics.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
      Sorry it took me a few extra days to make some new pics.

This one was made in 1968 as a prototype for Dolly Parton when she was playing with Porter Wagner. My grandpa made the neck from a Walnut taproot from his boyhood home. The resonator is Mahogany and made from his grandmothers kitchen table. It was one of the best sounding instruments he ever built and he built hundreds. He gave it to my dad after it was built. It was sent on a museum tour during the late 70's and was insured for $25k. It came up missing and stayed gone for close to 3 years and was found in storage at one of the State museums in Montgomery.Funny they couldn't find it until the $25k claim was made. It's been here ever since.

My grandpa has instruments scattered through museums and professional private artists all over the country. He has one that is in the Smithsonian.

Here's a small site from the State on my grandpa for anyone interested in more info about him.

Cullman County native Arlin Moon (1917-2008) was a nationally known and celebrated stringed instrument maker, musician, and music promoter. Born in Holly Pond, Cullman County, on March 12, 1917, to Willie S. Moon and Eula Barnett Moon, Arlin grew up in a musical family. Both his parents and several uncles played fiddle, banjo, and piano. […]

Here's a picture of him from the 70's from one of the documentaries they made.

And here's my entry for the accoustics.

That's awesome!! Even more with all of the history behind it!
      Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by Vengeance View Post
        This is my Alvarez Yairi DY68. Handmade by Kazuo Yairi in Gifu Japan in Dec. 1977.

Canadian spruce top with red Mahogany back and sides. Ebony Fretboard and Bridge. Mahogany Neck with a Brazillian rosewood laminate headstock.

The bass player I played with in highschool's mom had one of these and I fell in love with it. It had takin me almost 20 years to find one. As far as I'm concerned this is the finest 12 string ever made. Action is so low for a 12 string and the sound just booms. After buying this no other acoustic comes close and I have sold all my others. I have no intention of ever playing a 6 string acoustic ever again.

Sorry for the pics. Could have been better but it's about 100*+ outside with 1000% humidity here in La. I took the shots as fast as I could and ran back inside. This guitar is my baby and if I'm not playing it it stays in the case.

NICE! I want a good 12 string, but Ive found only one that I really like. Taylor GS3 12 and its out of my reach.
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

couple of 12's made the scene!

cool banjo
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Late in and I doubt it really compares to some of these beauties, but here's mine and after 7 years I'm only just getting to know her....

Comment

Your guitar has the measles

Comment

I'm tossing this one up tomorrow.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm tossing one up right now.

Comment

My '68 Guild D-35 - bear claw spruce top, mahogany back and sides, Braz rosewood board. The bear claw figuring got a little washed out, downside of pics in the sun but some of the wear got washed out too. This guitar is a MF'er of the highest order.

Last edited by Wattage; 07-16-2011, 08:50 AM.
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                      My '68 Guild D-35 - bear claw spruce top, mahogany back and sides, Braz rosewood board. ..... This guitar is a MF'er of the highest order.
                      I love Guilds. For some reason there seemed to be a lot of Guild acoustics in England when i grew up there back in the 60s. They have their own sound, and it's a sound that resonates well with me. When everybody seems to gush about Taylors and Martins, I'm always like "Meh, gimme a Guild or Gibson acoustic".

I have a Guild GAD30, one of their Chinese-built '000' models, all solid wood, with wood binding and pins, bone nut and saddle ... no plastic at all .... and it's a great little guitar, it definitely has the Guild sound. I didn't enter it because I know there's a kind of aversion to Chinese-built instruments here and of course there are nicer Guilds.

Yours looks like it's been played well and been a good companion. I bet it sounds great.
                      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I got it from the original owner a few years back and I can't say enough good things about it. It plays so well and just sounds amazing.

As with a lot of older Guilds the neck joint sort of caved in a bit and had to be reset. The original owner just didn't want to be bothered so I was able to get it for a song and my friend Cris did a great job putting it right. I don't even think of other acoustics I love this one so much.
                        My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Okay here a a few pics of my acoustic.
                          PRS angelus: Cocobolo fretboard, back and sides. Adirondack spruce top, Peruvian mahogany neck
                          Last edited by Al.C; 07-17-2011, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Lucid that is some pretty cool stuff on your grandfather
                            My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Boooring.. lots of jumbos, 000s and Dreadnoughts..... THe only thing really different was the Acoustic ML...

Don´tcha have something less "preppy"? After all, long time forumites know that over here the acoustics have to swim with the sharks as well :

Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I was going to win with my old Guild, but now that Wattage's old Guild is up in here, that one gets my vote!
                                my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X