Aceman I demand an "assembly guitar" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aceman I demand an "assembly guitar" thread

for those of us who have been holding back entering any mainstream Gibson , Fender or other thread lets have an all assembly thread. Parts guitars only. Body and neck must be aftermarket, or if stock Fender ( or Gibson less likely), or other regular production make, the neck and the body must NOT be from the same factory made guitar.

P.S. Also, when are we getting our "beater guitar" contest?

P.P.S. Too bad someone already posted a Pedalboard throwdown- we could have had a contest of it ...speaking of which,. that opens the door for Amp contests!!
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Aceman I demand an "assembly guitar" thread

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
    P.S. Also, when are we getting our "beater guitar" contest?
    I thought that was the refin category we just did.

Comment

refin was for new finishes on existing guitars, or at least I thought. I'm waiting for the DIY category to show off my Warmoth SG.
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Give him time. I'm sure he will.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
          I thought that was the refin category we just did.
          No way. People were refinishing whole bodies & production guitars. This would be more of a Parts-ocaster thread; usually Warmoth, USACG, Fender Partscasters( Modified Stock Parts guitars- usually Strats or Teles.) Actually one could buy all the parts already painted or even assembled by someone else, although originality, work top assemble , and detailed description of parts used would be ideal in determining a best of class.

Still probably would not cover a "beater" contest.
          Last edited by MetalManiac; 07-06-2011, 05:47 PM.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
            refin was for new finishes on existing guitars, or at least I thought. I'm waiting for the DIY category to show off my Warmoth SG.
            Yes, and on most of my assemblies, I just oiled or applied clear or tint lacquer, or bought the body already painted / finished from someone and assembled with a aftermarket neck, pickups and parts.
            I'd say there needs to be some explanation of the amount of assembly work done by the owner vs. buying a completed parts guitar, although those could be allowed presumably.
            I'd say a full detailed description of the guitar , important here to determine overall sound/value ( does it have antiquities or 10 dollar junk pickups fro instance?), should count for something in the voting.
            Last edited by MetalManiac; 07-06-2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I heartily concur with Mr. Maniac on this topic.
              " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
                Actually, I think guitars handbuilt from scratch also should NOT be allowed in this particular contest.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
                  Actually, I think guitars ENTIRELY handbuilt from scratch also should NOT be allowed in this particular contest, although thats one area thats a bit obtuse at this point, since one of my parts guitar has a homemade body from a guy I met..the handbuilt from scratch implies a level of artistry beyond that which is available to the causal assembler who does it for fun, and therefore not entirely fair put them on equal ground.

Comment

Ok - I have my list in front of me...

I have a category for "true custom" Meaning a definitive registered builder of Custom guitars. Crossley, for example, or Moser....

But it could be expanded to include personal customs - hand built, as it seems you mean.

By the way - it is up after superstrats, which is after semi's....so soon!
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I also concur with his MetalManiacness, even if I think he's an ass at times.
                      So +1 on this.
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        - hand built, as it seems you mean.
                        I would say not "built", but rather "assembled" from AFTERMARKET PARTS with some gray area for a partial percentage of the AMATEUR guitar actually "custom made", You could license this out if you'd like, otherwise were in no hurry.

Comment

On refin - you didn't have to actually "build" anything - just scribble on it.

For this, I think it must be required that a saw be laid to wood by the builder. No KITS unless some gluing was required. And maybe not even then...
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                            I also concur with his MetalManiacness, even if I think he's an ass at times.
                            So +1 on this.
                            Most of my ass holiness comes from saying things the wrong way ( and I'm working on this continually) not actually being wrong per se, but lets not quibble, shall we?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              On refin - you didn't have to actually "build" anything - just scribble on it.

For this, I think it must be required that a saw be laid to wood by the builder. No KITS unless some gluing was required. And maybe not even then...
                              You are off base with this it appears to me. Its not a Custom Luthier *built guitar I had in mind, but a PARTS GUITAR ASSEMBLED from RANDOM AFTERMARKET production "parts" by an AMATEUR.. read through it again. Thanks.
                              Last edited by MetalManiac; 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X