banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with neck profiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any experience with neck profiles?

I've been playing on my Jackson DKMG lately and I really like the guitar - except the neck profile. It is (in my opinion) a hefty D-shaped neck and makes things awkward for me.

The rest of the guitar is great - very solid. No other complaints.

I don't want to ditch this guitar because of a neck profile. Can it be modded? Maybe sanded down? Anyone ever do anything like this?

Or is there another Jackson bolt-on neck that has a slimmer profile that I could try?
    Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
    I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Re: Anyone have any experience with neck profiles?

Yeah, you can sand them down and round the sides to make the neck more comfortable. It's kinda expensive though. Maybe better to just get a replacement neck.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I theorize that just taking sand paper into your hand and sanding it down should lead to a perfect profile for you - if you do it even enough.

I am surprises a guitar like this has a thick D. Isn't it more like a flat back in a half-circle profile?

Comment

The DK2 has a thinner profile than the DKMG I had. It was closer to the DXMG (3x3 head).

Try either of the DK2 necks (maple or rosewood).

The KVX10 necks are really thin, however they're unbound, if that's a concern.

Thinnest bolt-on neck Jackson made was on the JTX, but the heel would have to be modded to fit any other body.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
          I theorize that just taking sand paper into your hand and sanding it down should lead to a perfect profile for you - if you do it even enough.

I am surprises a guitar like this has a thick D. Isn't it more like a flat back in a half-circle profile?
          Actually, you are correct. That's kinda what I thought a D shaped neck was though.

If I could somehow end up with the same (or similar) neck profile as on my VMNT, I'd be very happy.

I'm tempted to get some sandpaper and have at it, but I have read horror stories about necks ending up unstable, pitch/tone problems, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
            The DK2 has a thinner profile than the DKMG I had. It was closer to the DXMG (3x3 head).

Try either of the DK2 necks (maple or rosewood).

The KVX10 necks are really thin, however they're unbound, if that's a concern.

Thinnest bolt-on neck Jackson made was on the JTX, but the heel would have to be modded to fit any other body.
            DK2 necks... That sounds like a good alternative. Are they bound? I really like the binding. Also, do you know of any reputable place for Jackson necks?

Comment

Working...
            X