The Bill Baker method of re-stringing a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bill Baker method of re-stringing a guitar

I just got around to cleaning up my Fender Strat and in the process, I had forgotten exactly where I had gotten the "3 finger Z method" for re-stringing a guitar from. I remember seeing it posted on here in the past, but couldn't find the thread. Taking some time to sift through it online, I stumbled back upon the original video:

Anybody opposed to "vaulting" this? This method really changed the way I tune my guitars and this method makes the entire process really easy (almost foolproof, even). I've spent years of trying other methods, but this is the easiest and most consistent method I've found that really works.

I need to give credit where credit is due: Bill Baker is the man!

Let's face it - as guitar players, every single one of us has to change strings. If you're replacing pickups in your guitar, you're definitely going to want new strings and you're going to need to know how to re-string them properly to have a good playing experience. I haven't seen something like this vaulted before and it seems like something that should be a pretty obvious addition to the forum. When I was younger, re-stringing a guitar was always a somewhat daunting experience and every person I'd bring a guitar to would do it differently and there'd always be mixed results. Good methods really make a "night and day" difference.
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: The Bill Baker method of re-stringing a guitar

I cringed every time I saw him stretch the strings by letting them slap against the frets. But otherwise I guess it's just another method. Doesn't seem much or at all faster than any of the ones I've used, could be worth a try though.

Comment

My method of stringing guitars? Locking tuners.

Take that, conventional wisdom!
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I've been doing it that way for years. Well except for like Pierre mentioned on the string stretching. I've always done that side to side instead of pulling up and letting go.
        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

This is the video I used to learn a good way to re-string. The only difference for me, is that I go: Low E, High E, A, B, D and then the G, because I'm weird. Actually I feel that a more even distribution of tension would help prevent warpage of the neck, especially with mahogany necks. Although now I have locking tuners on my electric but I still use this method on my acoustic.

Comment

Bill is the guitar tech I go to. Been going to Dave's Sound in Whippany NJ for over twenty years now. Bill does great work on guitars and he took my Jesus guitar and turned it from a pile of dog doo into a great playing guitar. Very knowledgeable and him and Dave are good guys who do great work.
            Last edited by 75lespaul; 07-10-2011, 08:17 AM.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

2 points i would add:

1. for the D G B E strings, after the second bend, when he lifts the guitar up, i take the end of the string and wrap it back around the post and lace it under the "playing" part of the string, and then pull tight (sort of unnecessary with a locking nut, but what the heck?)

2. he forgot to take that idiotic-looking, botched-abortion Dean up to the roof and throw it into the dumpster behind his shop. i cant freak'n believe that a tree was chopped down to make that piece of excrement. and nobody's going to prison for it? un-freak'n-believalbe
              good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Anybody know what kind of string winder that is he is using? That's the best design I've seen and now I want one. Anybody?

Comment

i use a different method to achieve the same results

yayyyy
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                    Anybody know what kind of string winder that is he is using? That's the best design I've seen and now I want one. Anybody?
                    Mine is similar to that and is a planet waves. It breaks into 2 pieces if you want to lock the one end in the drill and tighten them with it instead of doing it by hand.
                    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I checked the PW website...that's not it. I have the PW one. But, you made me get off my lazy butt and research it myself. Looks like a Dunlop TurboTune Winder:

http://shop.jimdunlop.com/ecommerce/...ID=1458http://

I'm gettin' me one...

Not sure where I got the info, but aside from the "3 finger rule" (which I will use from now on), this has been the method I've used for years with great results.

Thanks to the OP for turning me on to that string winder...

Comment

Great video. Covered all the bases.

Grab your favoritte lube and....
                        "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

Turbo Tune

That is pretty much how I have been winding strings already, but good video nonetheless.

For locking nut guitars, I just string with the ball end at the tuner.
                          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I disagree with that on two points. He makes the sharp bend in the twig part (the bit he's gonna clip) of the string do the holding, and then cuts off the excess, and he only winds down from his original bend.

I make the string wrap over the twig and the playing part of the string , and then each subsequent wrap goes under them...the pinch created this way has allowed me to stretch my strings tight, and then I simply move the twig back and forth until it breaks off in my hand. This means that the playing part of the string does the holding, and not the twig, which does nothing. I haven't owned a pair of clippers in over ten years.

It always breaks off at the tuner, so there is never a hint of a sharp remnant. I'll let kids touch my guitars, because I know they don't have that sharp point. And, I don't go out of tune very much at all. This method works to a T.
                            Last edited by guitfiddle; 07-11-2011, 02:21 PM.
                            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Just linked the second part to this, the one that covers strats and basses.
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X