Your #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your #1

Post a pic of your #1 along with a description. I wanna see the players, not necessarily your most expensive, but the one you can't live without.
    Hard Rock - gain on 5 - singing about good times.

Heavy Metal - gain on 10 - screaming about something.

---Gearjoneser
    he was trying to convince her to swing.

That's like taking a Ferrari to a mud bog.--Ginormous

Re: Your #1

2011 American Standard stratocaster. Got it from wildwood.
    the 2 piece ash body was the selling point for me. The guitar is a healthy 7.87 lbs.
    The satin neck back is smooth and the frets are great. No funky crap anywhere on the neck that I can find.

I've got an SSL-1, the stock middle, and an ssl-6 in the bridge.
    The bridge and middle are on the no load pot, which is great for getting either that wide-open sound on either pickup. I also love being able to roll the bridge back.

It's resonant and a little lacking in upper mids. Exactly what I wanted! I wanted an airy, breathy strat that wasn't harsh at all.

Comment

2007 Ibanez RG321MH

Pretty ding'd and scratched at the sides and back. I absolutely love this. When I bought this, I was looking for an Ibanez with a fixed bridge, since I'm no tremolo user. I didn't want the GRGs, so I got this instead. Mahogany body with maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Jumbo frets are a big bonus for me. Replaced the tuners to Sperzels, nut to Graphtech, saddles to GFS Stainless Steels, electronics are CTS with switchcraft jacks, Dimarzio Tone Zone/Air Classic.

1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
      1992 Fernandes Telecaster
      2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
      2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
      2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
      2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
      Friedman Runt 50

Comment

Here's my #1.... LTD EC-400AT
        This thing just plays awesome! I got it 2 or 3 months ago and I can honestly say that I have not played any of my other guitars, except my Taylor acoustic, since I got it. It has a 59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge, the pickup combo is perfect for this guitar. And I just love the slim U profile neck with the XJ frets. Its the only guitar that I've ever owned that I actually have not wanted to change or upgrade anything on it. I am well over the honeymoon period and I still love this thing just has much as when I first got it.

(This isn't a pic of "my" guitar but it is identical to it.)
        Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Unfortunately, this guitar has been pickup-less for months, due to my ass being broke.

But it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. Better than my old Parker Nitefly, and that's saying something. Maple neck thru with a brazillian rosewood fretboard and center stripe, and the most 3D mahogany I've ever seen for sides. It's going to be retrofitted with dual humbuckers, hopefully within the next month. It has a 1 5/8 nut width, the only guitar besides a Music Man I've played with one. By god, it just fits my hand like it was built specifically for me, even though it predates my existence by about 13 years. I absolutely love this guitar.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
            I have my strat and a '68 Bassman and I still want your rig. I'm really glad you didn't get a black strat though. That and a DR is so vanilla lol. The Sienna burst just makes it so much win
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

These 2.

Wenge on padouk with a bocote/wenge laminate neck,snakewood board.custom neckshape,custom headstock custom pickups (modern take on the paf), custom fingerboard radius.

The other once is nearly identical,though its a rosewood top on purpleheart with a pau ferro/bubinga neck.

The covers are cut from the back itself.

The tone? The rosewood top is like a les Paul standard.warm,airy,with a bit of brightness and chunk on the bridgepickup.

The wenge top is like a custom.bolder,more agressive.

Both weigh a healthy 12lbs.

Comment

This is my number 1. This is the very first guitar I ever owned. The story is a long one so unless someone asks ill spare you the gory details of it. The guitar was made for me by a small builder in Salt Lake City. The name on it is Class Axe but it is not affiliated in any way shape or form with the company that imported guitars for BCRich in the 90's. It has a Ibanez trem Rio Grande pickups (When I had it made it had an Invader plus 2 hot stack set up in it) Currently while I still consider it my number one the frets have been recrowned 4 times and are so low that they need to be replaced its got some dead spots on the neck from it but im very leery in handing it to someone to have them replaced. For a long time this was my only guitar. It has all the bumps and bruises to show for it. I'm really an amp head I didnt start buying more guitars until this one started to have problems and I needed to find its replacement. Lots and lots of guitars later and this one is still number 1
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

My #1 is my 1998 Cherry Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard with 50s style/thick neck carve. I'm told it's odd that it has MOP inlays instead of the normal 1s, but I don't know enough about the different models to know if this is significant of not.

It had a set of Duncan 59s in it when I got it (hated them, too scooped), they got changed for a set of Duncan Seth Lovers which stayed in the guitar for years and did lots of gigs and recording sessions. I tried a set of BKP AIV Mules at a tradeshow and they blew me away, so I changed the Seths for a set of those and I couldn't be happier.

It's not my best playing guitar, that goes to my 97' PRS CU22, but it's easilly the 1 I'm most drawn to and the 1 I'd save from a burning house as it just fits me so well.

Last edited by Brow; 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM. Reason: Added pic

Comment

Not the best pic., but its an EC Strat.... a magical Strat! Only two upgrades changed pickguard to mother of Toilet seat & graphite saddles. Its been refretted(blew out the originals) with 6105 fret wire.
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

02 Gibson Les Paul studio gothic
                      -ebony board
                      -Duncan Distortion & Pearly Gates pickups
                      -500k CTS pots
                      -Switchcraft jack & toggle

I worked all summer at a Mcdonalds to pay her off when i was 17. Still the best all around guitar i've ever played, she's not the prettiest girl around but she sure delivers the goods.

It's in the shop right now for a set up and i'm getting a new bone nut/ tusq saddles installed...I haven't played her in about a month and i'm having some serious withdrawls.
                      77 Gibson Les Paul Custom (70's DiMarzios)
                      Gibson Les Paul (Duncan Distortion, Pearly Gates)
                      Fuchs Blackjack 21
                      -Fuchs Plush Cream
                      -Boss DD7 Delay

Comment

2004 PRS SE Soapbar

I am conflicted about my #1, because it is the guitar I have the least money into, all told.

My brain wants the 4-digit pricetag guitars to be the best, but in my case, the one that I always pick up first cost me $250.

It is a quintessential "SDUGF guitar" - I bought it from theodie, who got it from Gr8Scott. I don't know who or where Gr8Scott picked it up, but they are both bozos for letting it go. I guess it just wasn't their thing.

theodie had it set up like a shredder, super low action and pickups all the way up. I undid all that and set it up more as a rhythm guitar. theodie told me it might have Duncan pickups, but I've never looked.

It just plays awesome. It has the PRS Wide Fat neck carve, and I love a big chubber neck for that big chubber tone. It's fretwork is the most perfect of any guitar I have - USA Fender and Westerly, RI Guild included.

It is hard to EQ, has lots of highs and lots of lows - and I play Fender amps primarily, so the characteristic is accentuated there. This guitar needs a Marshall amp to complete the circle of awesome.

It sounds plain old good. It does a lot of things well, and it's the guitar I bring to a gig if I can only bring one guitar - can cop Les Paul tones in the middle position, Tele tones in the bridge position, and Strat tones in the neck position. Of course with lots of knob turning. What more could you ask for?

I think it's ugly - the black on black is boring to me, but hey, it plays, feels, and sounds so perfect, I have little interest in messing with it.

Give it a listen - I think you'll be impressed with the sound of this $250 guitar.

Just by listening to this YouTube clip, you can clearly tell that the guitar and I have bonded, and that playing it is superlatively natural for me. Everyone always says the best guitar in the world is the one that becomes an extension of you, so you can focus on making music and not be thinking about the guitar itself. This guitar is that for me. When I pick it up, I'm not playing the guitar, I'm playing the music.

Last edited by ImmortalSix; 07-11-2011, 07:26 AM.
                        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Serious Mojo.
                          I LOVE GUNS, ANIMALS, AND PEOPLE GETTING BUTT-HURT.

Comment

(click the photos for the larger version)

This is mine, Will Stinnett of Stinnett gutiars built this for me in 2010 (commissioned early February, finally done on late November I think).

It's a Stinnett SS6. Black Limba (korina) body with a half thickness Flamed Maple top, a Wenge/Mahogany 5-piece long tenon set neck and an Ebony board. Graph-tech non-locking nut.

Medium-Jumbo stainless steel frets, Hipshot locking tuners, Gotoh Floyd Rose, Seymour Duncan Jazz and Custom connected to a push pull (volume and tone respectively) pot for splitting. the volume pot also has the treble bleed mod.

I spent the better part of 3 whole years planning every little detail about her before finally committing to ordering her. Seems I did ok too since although I really like almost all of my guitars, this is pretty much the only one I'll pick up ever since I got her so there you have it
                            Last edited by KeeperOS; 07-11-2011, 07:49 AM.
                            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Gibson SG Special

This is my go to weapon of choice. Everything about this guitar fits me perfectly; the neck, body shape, action, balance... it is all there. I tried a mountain of pickups in this before I found what I was looking for: stock 498, JB, Distortion, Dirtyfingers, BB Pro, Lawrence xl500. After trying all these I decided to drink the sweet sweet SDUGF Kool Aid and go for the combo that is heavily favored: 59n and C5 with 500k pots. Thats whats in there now and thats what will stay. It is perfection in this guitar for me, not for everyone, and that is the point.

I got it about 4 years ago as a present from my dad, so it has a lot of sentimental value, maybe why I take such a liking to it.

Big credit to sosomething for the photo backdrop idea, couldnt help myself.

Beer me!
                              Originally posted by Kam
                              ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Working...
                              X