Darrin(BluesnMettle) Tone Bone Setting 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darrin(BluesnMettle) Tone Bone Setting 1

Darrin...Spent some more time today with your pedal....Here's a setting I absolutely love using my strat either in single coil mode or the Scremon Demon in series...Oddly enough,I'm playing into my early 70s 50 watt Non-Master volume Marshall head into a Marshall 4x12 V30 cab...The Marshall is set at a pretty low level and yet I got great tone,but the tone is pretty close to a level we would gig at,but not quite as loud....

This setting is with the stock JJ ECC83 12AX7 in place..

Anyway....This sounds like a great old Marshall "Plexi" type tone to my ears...
    Top End....Flat
    Voicing.....Fat
    Mid Boost...Out...
    The Drive knob is right between center and the first notch to the right of center..

I'm finding that the "Fat" position pretty much has to be left on all the time..The lows need to be kept at noon or higher also to keep alot of balls in the pedal...

I'll send you my higher gain setting later or tomorrow...I found two very good series of settings that I really thought sounded great...That's all a guy really needs is at least one or 2 great settings out of 1 box...Right>?

Here's my "Plexi" setting for a strat...
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 11-30-2004, 02:44 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Darrin(BluesnMettle) Tone Bone Setting 1

Keep workin' it, buddy! Whatta ya' think about that baby? Lotsa tweakability, huh? Looking forward to some more updates. Enjoy!

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle
      Keep workin' it, buddy! Whatta ya' think about that baby? Lotsa tweakability, huh? Looking forward to some more updates. Enjoy!

Peace,

Darrin
      It's a cool pedal and I Like it more as I learn more about it....I wish I could figure out how to get the screws out of it cause I'd love to put a nice RCA 12AX7 in there for ya buddy...I don't want to screw with your pedal though...If I buy one,I'll have to either drill the screws out or notch them so a straight headed screw driver would remove them..Guess they really don't want us inside of their pedal,and I can't blame them for that..

I'll try my Les Paul and SG through it also and send it back to you this week..Sure appreciate you letting me borrow it...Inside your box you'll find the total amount to cover all of the shipping...What a great guy you are Darrin!

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

What screws are you talking about? They must have changed something because I was able to take mine apart with no problem. If you mean the screws on the bottom of the unit mine were able to come out using an allen wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
          What screws are you talking about? They must have changed something because I was able to take mine apart with no problem. If you mean the screws on the bottom of the unit mine were able to come out using an allen wrench.
          Oh....Stupid me! Yes....Actually those are allen screws! Gosh,what an idiot...LOL

Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            Oh....Stupid me! Yes....Actually those are allen screws! Gosh,what an idiot...LOL

Thanks..
            No problem. You have an excuse...it's called MONDAY!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
              No problem. You have an excuse...it's called MONDAY!!!!!
              It's called "IDIOT" lol....

Comment

Is this the classic or the hot british?

-The classic really disappointed me when I tried it, but I've heard the Hot Brit is pretty good...
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits

-The classic really disappointed me when I tried it, but I've heard the Hot Brit is pretty good...
                  Hot British Model...

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits

A lot depends on what amp you use the Classic thru. The Classic tends to be rather mid heavy and thru my Peavey Classic 30 (which is also mid heavy) the only way to use the pedal was to use an EQ after the pedal to taper off some of those mids. Thru my Hughes & Kettner Tube 50 I don't need the EQ for the Classic pedal at all.

Comment

Darrin....I got the Tone Bone apart and replaced the JJ ECC83 stock 12AX7 with a NOS RCA Long Plate 12AX7....I use these in my Cyber Twin and I really like them alot...I'm going to go and try your pedal now with the tube change to see if it makes any overall tonal difference for the better? I'm also sending you your original tube upon sending you back your pedal....

John

Comment

SD,..hmm the original 50 watters must actually have a working volume switch...my 1987 reissue is either LOUD or off. What a beast.

But I'm curious about this pedal. Is this just a pre-amp type gain?(like the old Chandler Tube Drivers?) Or ss this something that would sound very similar to the 50 watter cranked (power tube and pre-amp gain), but at a lower volume?
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                          SD,..hmm the original 50 watters must actually have a working volume switch...my 1987 reissue is either LOUD or off. What a beast.

But I'm curious about this pedal. Is this just a pre-amp type gain?(like the old Chandler Tube Drivers?) Or ss this something that would sound very similar to the 50 watter cranked (power tube and pre-amp gain), but at a lower volume?
                          It reminds me of the first version Ibanez Tube King pedal,but I Like the tone of this pedal more...And yes,The Chandler fits into this vibe also...it has 1 actual JJ 12AX7 within the circuit,though I didn't measure how much actual plate voltage the tube sees...

A change from the stock JJ ECC83 over to a NOS RCA made a huge improvement in the pedal,especially in harmonic content and in the overall openess and feel of the pedal...I imagine the tube has alot to do with the overall function,as I've already found out myself...

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                            X