Tele Cleans..Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Cleans..Discuss

Is all or a lot of that Nashville Country stuff played on clean amps like a Twin, using the bridge pickup and using the tone control on the guitar?. I tried mine on an old Blackface Deluxe and it was too bright. A Strat was also really bright, but both guitars sounded great, but there was some breakup happening on the Deluxe.. I didnt really use the tone control on the guitar
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Tele Cleans..Discuss

Nope, all that music is recorded on BC Rich Mockingbirds through separate single-12ax7 preamps and solid-state power amps. Then it gets filtered and recorded with Pro Tools.

Comment

I love the Tele bridge tone-rolled-back sound. I use it all the time.

It takes a while to get to the place where it sounds fat, and not bright.

I can't quantify very well how you get there, but that tone is there.

Don't be afraid to roll the tone way back.

I think a lot of the country cleans are using a less-clean amp, like a VOX AC30 or, realistically, nowadays, it's a lot of Dr. Z and others.

My favorite Tele bridge player is Paisley, and he uses a Dr. Z Z-Wreck, a joint venture between the late Ken Fischer (Trainwreck) and Dr. Z. A lot of country players are pushing amps like that, as clean as they will be, and with a lot of (surprise!) compression.

My personal guess is that the formula is :
      1) a not-necessarily-that-clean amp,
      2) with the knobs turned to be as clean as it's going to be,
      3) and hit with compression out the ass.
      4) And of course a Tele bridge pickup with the tone rolled back to the middle or even less.

See the lead here (after the cocked wah intro), the fundamental tone is "clean," but you can hear that it's not necessarily through a clean Fender --- that juicy Tele tone bounces a lot further with a not-that-clean-by-nature amp that's got it's gain turned down.

*I only really know modern country, which I know some people are going to sh*t all over and feel the need to tell everyone that it's not as good as the old stuff. OK.
      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

turn down the treble/tone knob maybe? Sometimes the high end/high mids can just vanish though...what kind of tele do you have? I'm thinking it's a maple neck - happens with my 72 tele!
        Lister: I am your god!
        Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
        i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

If you want to talk Tele clean tone that's NOT the bridge pickup, see exhibit A:

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

" you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

:24 The drummer's face makes me want to punch kittens and kick babies.
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Yeah man, that's what the tone knob is for--takin off some highs and softening things up. For country a compressor wouldn't hurt either
                Originally posted by gibson175
                metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Well, Country music today is definitely not your daddy's Country music. The only current artist as of late that has that old twang is Brad Paisley and he uses Dr. Z amps. The old guys like their Twins and other high headroom clean amps.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    Is all or a lot of that Nashville Country stuff played on clean amps like a Twin, using the bridge pickup and using the tone control on the guitar?. I tried mine on an old Blackface Deluxe and it was too bright. A Strat was also really bright, but both guitars sounded great, but there was some breakup happening on the Deluxe.. I didnt really use the tone control on the guitar
                    Which Nashville Country?

Old Nashville is/was heavy on BF Fender amps but even in the 60's and 70's Nashville was heavy on other amps as well...today there are loads of amps used...Fender (tweed, BF, Brown, Blonde, etc...), Matchless, Dr. Z, Marshall, etc...

A Deluxe Reverb will breakup, thats the pit falls of a 20 watt amp...

That said, you can get a clean sound from any amp...just turn it down until it gets and stays clean...

As for Tele cleans in general I find them to be really beautiful...Strats are great guitars but I like a Tele better for both cleans and crunch tones to be honest.

If you are finding your strat or tele too bright with a BF Fender then use the tone controls...thats easy!
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      Well, Country music today is definitely not your daddy's Country music. The only current artist as of late that has that old twang is Brad Paisley and he uses Dr. Z amps. The old guys like their Twins and other high headroom clean amps.
                      Brads tone has very little in common with old country...
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                      X