recommend me some EL34's and 12AX7's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend me some EL34's and 12AX7's

I'm gonna retube pretty soon, my amp still has the factory groove tubes in it. I don't have much experience with tubes so I'd like to see what you guys can recommend to me. This is my amp:

Re: recommend me some EL34's and 12AX7's

Svetlana EL34's are excellent! The winged "C" version is the more sought after but they're all good.

WHy are you changing the stock pre's? They don't likely need replacing unless there is something they are not doing for you. I think Crate uses Sovtek pre's, some GT's would be good. I have a set of Ruby's that are really nice that I am very happy with. Usually takes abit of experimenting to find the pre's you like with an amp.

I would probably hold off until after you swap power tubes and get the bias set and see how you like it, then look for preamp tubes. They are fairly easy to replace and then you can experiment a bit.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Svetlanas and Tesla JJ's are the most popular for EL-34 amps. Teslas usually pop right in without a real need for adjusting the bias, whereas Svets run a little hotter and may need a bias adjustment. They both sound great.
      You may not need to change all the pre tubes, but I'd suggest spending $14 on 1
      12AX7C by Groove Tube and putting it in the 1st position (furthest from power tubes).
      Since that tube dictates the overall preamp drive and tone, the GT12AX7C has nice gain and is real tight and focused sounding, so it'll tighten up the sound of the amp.
      www.revolutionguitar.com is the cheapest and fastest way to get any of the top branded tubes.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've got groove tubes in there now (sovtek) and it's been over a year of moderate use, and they sound a little brittle and cold to my ears. Plus I bought it off the floor at guitar center, there's no telling how much use it's seen, especially since no one bothers to warm up the tubes in a store before they play.

Comment

the nearby amp tech (John Nau - Nau Engineering) quoted me at $10 each for preamp tubes and $40 each for power tubes, svletanas. Is that reasonable? Oh, plus his bench fee.

Comment

EL-34's: JJ, Svetlana (pre-2k1 winged C), Ruby EL-34BSTR, EHx 6CA7
            12AX7: I REALLY like the 9th gen Chinese stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
              the nearby amp tech (John Nau - Nau Engineering) quoted me at $10 each for preamp tubes and $40 each for power tubes, svletanas. Is that reasonable? Oh, plus his bench fee.

Yeah it is unless he has a crazy bench fee. It is a little high for the Svets but generally amp techs will not use any tubes other than the ones they've sold and they get a proper markup.

The 50wt only uses a pair of EL34's so at most you're paying maybe $30 more tops. For good service and a guarantee that isn't crazy money by any stretch.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
                Yeah it is unless he has a crazy bench fee. It is a little high for the Svets but generally amp techs will not use any tubes other than the ones they've sold and they get a proper markup.

The 50wt only uses a pair of EL34's so at most you're paying maybe $30 more tops. For good service and a guarantee that isn't crazy money by any stretch.
                He's a top notch tech and amp modder so I might just take it up to him.

Comment

Well, I have the Groove Tubes Soul-o-75 1-12 combo amp with a pair of EL34s called the " E34LS" yes....the 34 is before the L. the rating is #4 and the are friggin' awesome......but so is the amp. I have all Chinese 12ax7 in the pre & I prefer a 12at7 in the final pre stage(phase inverter) of this amp because the plate voltage is maxi-high.......old Plexi & beyond levels(75-80 watts from 2 el34s?). Now....Groove Tubes have just released a 12ax7 "Mullard" clone that they claim to be absolutely phenominal. They also are equally proud of the new 6CA7 power tube which is basically a USA military spec EL34. The 6CA7 "IS" the power tube EVH used in his old plexis.....Aspen Pittman(owner of groove Tubes) used to provide him with them. I have not heard either of these tubes but I am anxious to. I heard that after they unveiled them at Namm the orders went through the roof. I go back and forth on the 6CA7 because they say it's a cross between a 6L6 and an EL34. I've heard a Soul-o-75 with 6L6's and I didn't like it. Right now my power tube distortion is really "Hard" and my clean is good and bright.....not nice and warm like 6L6 but bright like an old plexi.....and that's the way I like it. I would stick with Groove Tubes.....but call them & talk to Rick or Aspen. they're really helpful.

pEaCe,
                  BobbyO.

Comment

Hey Xeromus,
                    Don't pay "any" bench fee for 12AX7s...they're self biasing & you can put them in yourself. Generally the only tube you need to replace when you change power tubes is your phase inverter which is almost always the closest pre-tube to the power tubes. Find out from St. Louis music if the amp bias is "fixed" or "adjustable". If your groove tubes are true GTs...being Orange with a number between 1-10 it's probably an adjustable. If it's got the "red white or blue" with no number it's probably fixed bias....which I think the RWB thing only came in fenders & were/are 6L6s....Groove Tubes frowns on this method but Fender , being chinzy, insisted. If you like the tubes you have in there now then you can change them yourself. You just have to make ABSOLUTE sure you get the EXACT model & power rated number from Groove Tubes & no biasing will be needed because they're rating system is near flawless. I've been doing it with several amps since 1996 & have had no problems whatsoever. If you want to experiment with a different EL34....you have to get the amp biased or it will run either too hot or too cold.....not good for the OP transformer. But please...do not pay a DIME to have someone stick in a pre tube when you can do it yourself.

pEaCe,
                    BobbyO

Comment

Working...
                    X