NGD: 2011 Ibanez S7420...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: 2011 Ibanez S7420...

My first 7 string...no idea how/why I ended up gtting this lol....but I'm glad I did, it's a real joy to play!

I've avoided them (7-stringers) for years...not a fan of the thick necks and fixed bridges I guess. Plus, 6 strings are really all I need for the kind of stuff I play (classic metal/thrash/death /doom ..nothing over-modern really.)

But then I saw this beauty at my local store, & being pretty crazy about my old S540ltd Saber which I've had since '94, I thought I'd give it a try.

The neck felt totally awesome/familiar right off the bat. Really slim, flat-ish at the back and silky smooth, amazing low action, really well set up & intonated.. no buzz or sharp fret ends, pretty much exactly the same shape as the Wizard II on my old Saber, just very marginally thicker (maybe not actually..it's practically identical) with a really "solid" feel to it.

It also has a ZR-7 (ZR-II) trem, (unlike the older S7420's which had TRS's), "Axis" series pu's (which don't sound too bad at all tbh...clear and articulate, nice cleans too. They have a row each of black slugs and hex poles) ..and 24 frets!

Build quality and finish is excellent...really flawless, easily compares with my MIJ S540.

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: NGD: 2011 Ibanez S7420...

Good stuff man!
    You wont need to worry about whether the 7th string will get a lot of use, very quickly you'll find ways to incorporate it into your playing

Comment

Nice to see a 7 string S, the world is flooded with RGs usually. I'm often thinking it would be cool to have a 7.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Sweeeeeeeet! Those are fun guitars. Congrats!

Comment

Thanks guys.. I've been having a blast with it actually..

@ Ashurbanipal: ..yeah, the fact that it was a 7 string S was what made me interested in checking it out in the first place. I actually went in there planning to pick up a 6 string RGA (72TQMZ), but they had'nt got any of those in yet.
          Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 07-29-2011, 03:25 AM.
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
          X