Reworked Les Paul Traditional Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reworked Les Paul Traditional Pro

Finally got around to posting a thread about my Trad Pro....these are the best "bang for the buck" in the genuine Gibson Les Paul world.....

Nothing wrong with the guitar straight out of the box but I have my pickup preferences so I made this one mine! I love the satin back and satin 60's neck. The locking tuners are a plus too in my opinion.

So here's what I did:

I took the pickguard off, I do that to most Les Pauls, I see no need for it in most cases, solid color tops I tend to leave it on....

I replaced the tophat knobs with speedknobs, I prefer them.

I stuck my usual Duncan Distortion into the bridge, my favorite "go to" Les Paul pickup. This one happens to be a "DDJ".

I removed the push/pull pot from the bridge volume and replaced it with a 556k CTS pot I got a while back from Wymore Guitars. I have no use for the split bridge. I left the tone control unhooked for the bridge. No use for that either.

For the neck I went in a totally new direction for me. I had the P-rails in a drawer for quite some time. I got it in trade with someone here but I never used it till now. So it went into this guitar.

I left the stock neck push/pull volume in place. Pull up and you get the P-90. I'm not totally sold on this part of the setup but thats whats there for the time being. May replace it with a 59' neck I've got.....

So that is what it is.........Hey Bloodrose!!!

Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Re: Reworked Les Paul Traditional Pro

That guitar looks wicked, and I'm not usually a fan of dark bursts. I would think it's seriously versatile now too.... nice one.

Comment

Thanks! I have a Triple Shot ring I could use on the neck pickup but didn't really have the time for the wiring.....may go that route another day.
      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Unlike Don, I much prefer darker bursts on Les Pauls. That one's beautiful. Congrats.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

It is a nice guitar.

Comment

Damn that's nice.

Comment

That looks good, I can't imagine anything other than speedknobs with this color combo, can't understand what they're thinking. A simple fix regardless

Congrats man, is that like the one BloodRose has?
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Hey Metlking! Bout time. j/k

Very cool! I like the speed knobs.. Im gonna have to try a distortion in a paul one of these days.. perhaps Ill buy a blue class 5 to put it in.. hahah

I agree with you about the trad pros.. Great bang for the buck! Plus, with locking keys, cts pots, coil taps.. cant beat it..

Keep us posted on the Prails!

Manos,
                Mine is Wine red.. Ive just been Nagging him about doing the review.
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Beautiful guitar. I'd go with different pickups, maybe a PG+/Jazz set in zebra, but that's just preference.

Do these have the 50's or the 60's necks on em?
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                    Beautiful guitar. I'd go with different pickups, maybe a PG+/Jazz set in zebra, but that's just preference.

Do these have the 50's or the 60's necks on em?
                    60s.. MM MM good!! But they have a run with 50s avail IIRC
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                      Unlike Don, I much prefer darker bursts on Les Pauls. That one's beautiful. Congrats.
                      Couldn't agree more mate, it's a stunner!

Comment

Sweet Plain Top!

Comment

what were original pickups, and why do you like the Duncan Dist better?
                          what's different about it?
                          good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Killer axe I dig it.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Great looking guitar!

That's the only thing I've never understood about Gibson and its LES PAUL model. Why do they have to install the pickguard at the factory (and put those nasty screw holes in that lovely finish)? Why can't they just let the customer decide on whether or not to do it; from what I've seen most people remove the pickguard anyway.
                              Last edited by redscott131; 07-30-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X