Let the modifications begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the modifications begin!

Well, as many of you will recall I started asking some add questions about 2 months ago about various guitars...mostly interested in the amount of space behind the bridge!

After a lot of questions, a little looking and some playing of various guitars a decision was made...I was on the lookout for either a single cut Melody Maker or a PRS SE One.

As luck would have it forum bro Wattage was knee deep in single pickup guitars and looking to drop one of them so I recently took delivery of his 2008 Melody Maker which had already been modified a little with a set of Grovers, a Hot Rails pickup and a cool sticker.

Well, at this point it's far form done but I did get the big part on this weekend...

So here is my Melody Maker with a set of mid 70's Bigsby Palm Pedals!

Here are 2 shots of the Palm Pedals close up

And for those interested...the sticker!

The Palm Pedals are a string bending system that can be put on any of the 6 strings, in fact with additional levers you can have 6 (or even 7)! of them on one guitar to do various bends. I currently have this one set up in the typical G and B bender but the set up is still up in the air...

I've been working with standard tuning with a whole set on the G and B as well as open E with a full step on the B and a half step on the G and even open G with a full step on the G and a half step on the B.

The most typical set up is the open E but since I don't do too much in open E I'm keeping my options open until I find a set up that feels right to me.

Anyway, for those wondering what I was after a few months ago, now you know!

A HUGE thanks to Scott for giving up such a fine guitar!

Now, I'm off to bend some more strings!
    Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 07-31-2011, 10:38 AM.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: Let the modifications begin!

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

That bigsby thing is crazy-

Perfect guitar for that application, Bro! Just needs some speed knobs
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Are you looking at keeping the single-coil sized pickup or routing for a P-90 or full-size humbucker? A low output P-90 would be great in that thing.

Comment

Right on, glad they fit so well. Have fun with that thing it is a great little guitaarrrggghhhh.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            Are you looking at keeping the single-coil sized pickup or routing for a P-90 or full-size humbucker? A low output P-90 would be great in that thing.
            I believe he had been talking about a Charlie Christian. Whether for this guitar, I am not sure whether he said or not.
            Looks like a Nice guitar.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Charlie Christian n

Mean 90 b

white knobs

Comment

That's crazy! I dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                  That bigsby thing is crazy-

Perfect guitar for that application, Bro! Just needs some speed knobs
                  Thanks guys!

They fit quite well on the MM...I bought them in hopes of putting them on a Telecaster but the levers are hanging out over the pickup to no picking by the bridge, no palm muting...just a pain so had to go a different way with it.

I actually like the amber top hats!
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    Not sure yet....I've had several ideas so far but a P-90 is HJIGH on th elist right now!

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                    Right on, glad they fit so well. Have fun with that thing it is a great little guitaarrrggghhhh.
                    Thanks man! It really is a great guitar for these...plent of room to use them but they are not in the way if I don't want to use them!

It really is a great guitar BTW, plays like a dream and sounds really good!

I'm actually warming up to the Hot Rails!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                      I believe he had been talking about a Charlie Christian. Whether for this guitar, I am not sure whether he said or not.
                      Looks like a Nice guitar.
                      Originally posted by post toastie View Post
                      Charlie Christian n

Mean 90 b

white knobs
                      Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                      That's crazy! I dig it.
                      Thanks guys.

Not sure on the pickup(s) yet but I do have a lot of cool ideas...I'm just gonna try and gel with the guitar itself plus learn a little with the pedals...once I make some head way there and think on the pickup deal a bit more I'm gonna make some more changes!

Comment

Man you have to drop a neck pickup in there, those things are too cool not to
                        Originally posted by gibson175
                        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                          That's crazy! I dig it.
                          +1 awesome
                          BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                          Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                          Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                          Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                          Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                          Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                          Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                          Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                          Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                          Gibson EBO

Comment

That thing is such an interesting guitar invention.

One question though. How do the G and B strings stay centered, gliding free over the tailpiece? Are slots necessary there?
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                              Man you have to drop a neck pickup in there, those things are too cool not to
                              I hear ya...I'm thinkin about it.

I just have to figure it all out before I start...I need a clear cut plan before I do anything or it just gets twisted!

Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
                              +1 awesome
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X