Not All Squiers Suck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not All Squiers Suck!

I'm really surprised that no-one has mentioned the Pro-Tone Squiers from the mid 90's. They were going for $365 back then and Fender had to discontinue them because they were out playing the American Standards. I "had" one and it's definitely high on my regret list!
    Last edited by KRKBAB; 08-05-2011, 07:17 PM.

Comment

My Squier Pro-Tone (1996, I think- MIK) was a sunburst with pearloid pick guard and 3 nice low-ish output alnico's. They may have been alnico lls- they had 500k pots in it. However, it had "bullet" frets which I couldn't get used to. I had medium jumbo frets put on- it played well- and then I eventually (ouch) sold it.

Comment

Nice Score!
        "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by KRKBAB View Post
          I'm really surprised that no-one has mentioned the Pro-Tone Squiers from the mid 90's. They were going for $365 back then and Fender had to discontinue them because they were out playing the American Standards. I "had" one and it's definitely high on my regret list!
          If you can get your hands on a pro-tone, go for it. Those are great sounding guitars, just as the early 80's MIJ Squiers are. They are on par with anything that's coming out of Corona today IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by KRKBAB View Post
            I'm really surprised that no-one has mentioned the Pro-Tone Squiers from the mid 90's ...
            Ahem ...

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
            And yeah, some Squiers are really good. Back in the 90's there was a line called the Squier Pro Tone guitars, which were built just as well as (if not better than) a MIM Standard. Fender supposedly discontinued the line after a couple years because they were cutting into MIM Fender sales. If you see one circulating on the used market, check it out ... you won't find a better deal on a Strat or Tele.
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by Kramer Guy View Post
              If you can get your hands on a pro-tone, go for it. Those are great sounding guitars, just as the early 80's MIJ Squiers are. They are on par with anything that's coming out of Corona today IMO.
              Eh ... I dunno if I can buy that. Fender's American line has come a long way, and I think the instruments they're making now are their best since the late 60's. Are you sure you didn't mean Ensenada?
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                Fixed it for you.

That's almost as the bad as the people who spend $$$ for Monacos and Superpros and still think the company is HAMMER.
                The standards are the Hammer of the Gods perhaps...
                Yeah, and I love my Squier. So glad Billy is making guitars since the whole Stroke thing has died down.

LOL ! Sorry, couldnt resist
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I can't remember if I've posted in this thread or not so I'll just say this;

Vista Series, mother****ers.
                  I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
                    Got Squiers. Got a Fender AVRI and a Relic. There are detectable differences. These are not proportional to the price difference. I enjoy both the budget and expensive instruments.
                    +1...It ain't the hammer...its the carpenter!!!
                    Last edited by jimo; 08-10-2011, 06:51 PM. Reason: why not?
                    EVH's Frankenstein was a factory second junker put together by a drunk teenager and it's one of the most sought after guitar tones ever...Ian Ballard

playing an electric guitar unplugged to determine how it will sound is like sitting in a car, with the engine off, to determine how fast it is.

Ron Kirn

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                      . Do I understand kids using them for beginner platforms fior pickup swaps and harware upgrades and as their entry level guitars. Yes way.
                      To say they are "awesome" is fairly shortsighted, but thats only to a seasoned veteran whos played some better grade guitars.. To a young beginner , they are awesome and more I'm sure..nothing wrong with that at all.
                      You can't say they could ever be true players guitars though, either in tone or playabilty ( feel, reponse, fit and finish)casue they wont ever be that..ever.
                      If I had one ( god forbid), I would aspire to owning a better guitar someday, instead of waxing prophetic about how "awesome" it is.

{ actually, I do own a couple of squires..heh he..they are fun and surprisingly good players and sound good, but a GOOD mid level guitar ( 700-900.00) is at a whole different stature and much better.)
                      I have to say, I enjoy playing my Korean Squier Strat (with SSL-1's), as much as I enjoy my USA Hamer Artist Custom. I've got them both playing amazing, and they both are even in my book. Now, I will say, the Hamer is a perfect guitar. It was the day it was strung and tested.

The Squier took being rebuilt about 12 times, 19 electronics changes, and the biggest difference was the Wilkinson Vintage trem with steel block. The body is MIM standard alder (that was nearly cracked in two and glued back together), and the aforementioned electronics. So the only thing still stock are the string trees, and the neck and frets. But it's still a Squier, right?
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                      Originally posted by Securb
                      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
                      X