What Solder & Iron Do You Use ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Solder & Iron Do You Use ?

i'm sure there was a thread, but i can't find it.

Re: What Solder & Iron Do You Use ?

I use the Weller Soldering Station WLC100 and it adjusts from like 15 watts up to 50...I got mine at Sears and it was around $50...My solder is from Radio Shack and I use different thicknesses depending on what I'm working on...If I'm working around pcb stuff,I use very thin solder..

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
      I use the Weller Soldering Station WLC100 and it adjusts from like 15 watts up to 50...I got mine at Sears and it was around $50...My solder is from Radio Shack and I use different thicknesses depending on what I'm working on...If I'm working around pcb stuff,I use very thin solder..

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-.../dp/B000AS28UC
      coolness. what ratio of solder ? 60/40 ? 80/20 ? other ?
      Last edited by post toastie; 08-04-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by post toastie View Post
        coolness. what ratio od solder ? 60/40 ? 80/20 ? other ?
        Looking at the RS solder I currently have here at home...1 is rated 62/36/2 and the other one is 63/37...I use a .022" gauge and a .050" gauge High Tech solder...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-.../dp/B000AS28UC
          +1, this is what I use as well. I'm new to soldering. I ruined the flat tip that came with it, heated it up and forgot to immediately put some solder on the tip, it was ruined. I bought a pencil tip to replace it and everything I have done since has been a success, including push/pull wiring.

Comment

Radio Shack 20/40 switchable. Don't make them anymore....
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Hakko only, 936 at work, and my FX 888 at home.
              Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 08-04-2011, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I'm using a 50 Watt Soldering Iron Controller ZD-98. Been working out well for me and I throughly enjoy the holder for iron as back in Canada I did not have such a luxury.
                "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xytronic...on_p_1020.html

I really like this one that guitarfetish sells, although I'm sure that I can get away with less. It takes up a lot of space if you don't have a permanent workstation too.
                  "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

i use a cheap 40w iron which cost me £20 including the iron, some solder, a stand, sponge and a de soldering pump thingy.

works all the time, even repaired one of dad's vintage tinplate toys with it!!
                    Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

This: http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15860+TL

And Radioshack 60/40.

Comment

Radioshack. Switches from around 20-50 watts (bought a few months ago).
                        This machine kills fascists

Comment

I've gone through several of the adjustable Radio Shack ones. A few years ago I ponied up for a Metcal and I've been really happy with it. I use Alpha's Reliacore 11 .062 60/40 solder.

This isn't mine, but it looks identical:

Last edited by That90'sGuy; 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM.
                          Originally posted by kevlar3000
                          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                          Originally posted by Zerberus
                          Better is often the enemy of good
                          Originally posted by ginormous
                          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Hakko 936 ESD Soldering Station

The variable ternperature output and the ceramic heating element make a world of difference!
                            I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it left.

Comment

I use a Weller production grade soldering station. It was about $90.00 but well worth it.
                              Guitars:EJ Strat, PRS SE Bernie Marsden (with Bare Knuckle Mules), PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd (with Joe Satriani set) PRS SE Zach Myers (Totally Customized for me with Dimarzio Air Classics),Carvin CS6, Gretsch 5422, Taylor 612 ce. Amp:Limited Edition Blues Junior (W/ Eminence Canibis-Rex Speaker ). Effects: Fulltone Full-drive Mosfet 2, Strymon Timeline, TC Electronic Vortex Flanger, Golden Cello Distortion Pedal.

"I am not ashamed of the good news of JESUS CHRIST"
                              CHRIST

Comment

Working...
                              X