GHS Boomers - Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GHS Boomers - Yay or Nay?

I'm thinking about buying some GHS Boomers soon after some lengthy time away from them. What have been some Pros and Cons in you experience with them?

Re: GHS Boomers - Yay or Nay?

I've always gotten a long with them. Pro- sound good, last a while, don't cost a ton.

Comment

I'm a boomers convert after first being an ernie ball guy, then an elixir guy.
      Ernie balls had no longevity and decent tone.
      Elixirs had average tone, great longevity, but often gave me problems with intonation.

Boomers last me *forever* as far as non-coated strings go. I don't even wipe em down after playing and I can get a solid 2 weeks out of a set. I could only go 4 or 5 days on EBs without notable rusting.

The tone is decent, not overly bright or warm, and I haven't had any issues with bad strings out of the package, so I'm a happy customer.

Comment

It's been a long time since I tried the regular Boomers but lately I've been using both the David Gilmour and the Dave Mustaine signature sets and loving them.

They've sounded great, held tune well, intonated well, lasted a long time (the mustaine set longer than the Gilmour set for some reason) and they feel great to play on.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          Boomers last me *forever* as far as non-coated strings go. I don't even wipe em down after playing and I can get a solid 2 weeks out of a set. I could only go 4 or 5 days on EBs without notable rusting.
          What kind of acid skin do you have?!

Comment

I like Boomers. Really nice solid feel and tone from them, not too bright. I like Slinky's too. Been getting good wear out of both of them. No issues.

Comment

I've been using the Nickel Rockers and just switched to the Boomers on my Strat and am loving them.

Comment

Originally posted by ericmeyer4 View Post
                What kind of acid skin do you have?!
                my hands sweat a lot. You should see the crap I have to scrape off my video game controllers.

Comment

I'm a boomers convert after first being an ernie ball guy, then an elixir guy.
                  Ernie balls had no longevity and decent tone.
                  Elixirs had average tone, great longevity, but often gave me problems with intonation.

The tone is decent, not overly bright or warm, and I haven't had any issues with bad strings out of the package, so I'm a happy customer.
                  2 weeks?? wow.. I have strings on my guitars for months and years (in some cases) at a time.. ( I do wipe after each play) And wash my hands before I play.

Kam, what's diff about the signature sets??
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

GHS Boomers - Yay or Nay?

I had a set of boomers one time and I rusted them out in 2 days. I wasn't even playing a lot just like an hours worth each and I came back the third day and they were gross. Only coated strings for me.
                    Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                    H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                    Originally posted by jcthejester13
                    I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

D'addario 9's forever <3

Comment

They've been consistently the best overall string I've ever used in the 35 years I've been playing (25 of which have been on GHSs of some sort) in terms of lifespan, breakage, and holding a tuning. I use the Boomer TNTs (10-52s) and a set typically lasts me months before I need to change them. They never break - ever. They tune up quickly and hold a tuning for days. I've never been able to say that about EBs or D'Addarios or Markleys or any of the more readily available store brands. They are a little stiffer than I'd like, but the rest of the pluses completely outweigh that one minus for me.

Compared to the more expensive strings I've recently used (Mangans, Pyramids, and Snake Oils) they more than hold their own at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

Comment

What are you people doing, putting god damn battery acid on your corn flakes? I've never rusted a string in my life...

Anyway, Bloodrose....

The guages, for one thing. There's two different sets of Gilmour strings, the red and blue. Reds are intended for Les Pauls and other short scales and go from 10.5 to 50, while the blues are intended for Strats and go from 10 to 48. I have the blues on my Pacifica and had the reds on my Westone. They're great strings. Very warm and mellow sounding. I really liked how they were heavy strings but they don't really feel heavy. They bend way easier than the D'addario 10s I replaced with them.

The Mustaine set goes from 10 to 52. I don't even like Dave Mustaine; I got them because I wanted a light top/heavy bottom set for my 24" scale Supersonic and they were the only set my shop had that weren't Ernie Balls (I ****ing hate Slinkies). They differ from the Gilmour sets in pretty much the way you would expect; brighter, punchier, heavier and more aggressive. They're really good feeling strings, though. Plus they last for ages. I put them on my Supersonic about five weeks ago and they still sound pretty good. And I play that guitar hard. They sound thicker than the D'addarios but they retain a lot of that brightness and snap. Really good strings. Plus I pretty much stopped having to tune that guitar, which is cool.
                          Last edited by Kam; 08-03-2011, 02:47 PM.
                          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

my hands sweat a lot. You should see the crap I have to scrape off my video game controllers.
                            That sounds quite disgusting :P
                            "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                            "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                            "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                            "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Love em, that's all I use and all I'll ever use. I've tried other brands and they just don't do it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X