banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remember what strings you used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you remember what strings you used?

^^ Aw maaan, we almost had him running around with his underwear in his nose and a garden hose up his patooie, then you gotta come in, blab everybody´s secret out and ruin it
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I thought for sure he meant "how do you remember which ones you've tried", but lo and behold, he's actually having trouble remembering what he put on the guitar!?

Seriously, dude, it cannot be that hard unless you're brand-hopping. While that's not a bad way to find the set that works for you, you at least gotta try to keep track. Say you go through 3 different sizes of 5 different brands, and finally decide on Contestant #3, set #2. How are you going to remember what it was unless you remember it?

But as for me, I only use EB SuperSlinkys, and I buy them by the dozen or so.
      Plus I always have a mix-n-match set laying around from replacing one that breaks (one's missing a high E, another missing the 3rd, etc).
      Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

I started keeping a food diary cos I can never remember just what tastes good to me, and what does not. I used to get frustrated when I walked up to the fridge and peered inside. Talk about overwhelming. A couple times my wife had to drag me away and make something for me, cos I would have been there staring, for hours.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

I have used the same brand and gauge of strings for years. The only issue I have is remembering how old they are?

Comment

I use the same types of strings on everything and don't really vary it. GHS CLs which are 9-46. For my acoustic I use Martin mediums. If I had more variation I'd have to write it down.

Comment

Many years ago, my father the lawyer had a deceased client's estate that he had to handle, and he hired me and a couple of friends to help him. The old lady lived in a three-story rowhouse in NE Philly, and the house was literally waste-deep in trash. It wasn't just "trash", though. This lady kept track of everything.

Newspapers: Handwritten notes in the margins, going back years.

Homemade jam: Cases full of Ball mason jars, with handwritten labels from the '50s.

Lightbulbs: She would write on the cardboard sleeve when the bulb went into service. When the bulb burned out, she would return it to its sleeve, and write the date it failed. We found bags of these, going back decades.

Bic Pens: Same thing. Pens all returned to their blister-pack cards, three pens to a card with the dates they went into service and the dates they finally dried up.

We removed multiple, full-sized roll-off containers of pure trash from that house. I don't remember the lady's name, but her house's location is burned indelibly into my brain: "Palethorp Street", most often used as an adjective in my family.

A lot of you guys are really Palethorp Street about your strings.
                Last edited by Rich_S; 08-04-2011, 01:14 PM.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                  Many years ago, my father the lawyer had a deceased client's estate that he had to handle, and he hired me and a couple of friends to help him. The old lady lived in a three-story rowhouse in NE Philly, and the house was literally waste-deep in trash. It wasn't just "trash", though. This lady kept track of everything.

Homemade jam: Cases full of Ball mason jars, with handwritten labels from the '50s.

Lightbulbs: She would write on the cardboard sleeve when the bulb went into service. When the bulb burned out, she would return it to its sleeve, and write the date it failed. We found bags of these, going back decades.

Bic Pens: Same thing. Pens all returned to their blister-pack cards, three pens to a card with the dates they went into service and the dates they finally dried up.

We removed multiple, full-sized roll-off containers of pure trash from that house. I don't remember the lady's name, but her house's location is burned indelibly into my brain: "Palethorp Street", most often used as an adjective in my family.

Sounds almost like my grandfather, minus the pens and lightbulbs.
                  "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                  "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                  "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                  "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post

Oh my! thats AR... Im trying to be less of a pack rat.. I dont wanna end up on hoarders.. I realized I have almost every pot and jack and part Ive taken out of guitars over the years.. Guess I can chunk all the pots

As far as strings, for about the last several yrs Ive used Daddario .10s on everything.. I just recently switched to .009s on the 25.5 scale axes. Accoustics, I dont play much, so I havent settled on a guage yet
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

So about these pens and bulbs....did you notice any pattern, like newer ones lasting less than older, or vice-versa?

I bet if they got a date on her headstone wrong she'd be spinning like a top
                      My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                        I have used the same brand and gauge of strings for years. The only issue I have is remembering how old they are?
                        Hmm, why does this sound so familiar....

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                        So about these pens and bulbs....did you notice any pattern, like newer ones lasting less than older, or vice-versa?

I bet if they got a date on her headstone wrong she'd be spinning like a top
                        She´s probably already mad as all hell that the Headstone doesn`t have "Installed: (date)" on it and space for the date it fails
                        Last edited by Zerberus; 08-05-2011, 07:46 AM.
                        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I remember that I buy the pack of D'addario's with Nickel Plated on cover and and until recently a purple circle. I'm currently trying to easy my way from 9s to 10s.

My huge problem is restringing. Both of my guitars have Floyds. If I had a hard-tail I'd look forward to restringing every few months.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maz View Post
                            I remember that I buy the pack of D'addario's with Nickel Plated on cover and and until recently a purple circle. I'm currently trying to easy my way from 9s to 10s.

My huge problem is restringing. Both of my guitars have Floyds. If I had a hard-tail I'd look forward to restringing every few months.
                            But's that's the whole fun about it. The fact you can sit with your guitar and treat it with love.

Just like photographers cleaning lenses. Motorcyclists polishing chrome. Trauma surgeons picking out bullet fragments...
                            "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                            "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                            "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                            "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

I like to experiment using different brand every time i change strings.
                              D'addario IMO is the benchmark brand, sounds great and bright everytime. They're also the most readily available where i live.
                              Elixir sounds slightly better, brighter, and they do last long time, but i cant stand their high tension.
                              Dr string sound as good as elixir, but the tension is lower, perhaps lower than d'addario.
                              Right now i'm using ernie ball regular slinkys, they sound pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                                I buy in bulk.
                                So do I. It took a couple of years to figure out what I liked, but the LPs & Teles get a stainless steel EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set (10-52) and all of the other electrics get a stainless steel EB Hybrid Slinky set (9-46). Basses get GHS medium Boomers, all of the 12 strings use D'Addario EJ-38s, the other steel strings get the EJ-16s, classicals get Augustine Blue.
                                www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X