Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WD40 on guitar strings?

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
    If you want some really smooth, hot licks, try using this.....

[ATTACH]26126[/ATTACH]
    Ever try that stuff? It's capable of becoming uncomfortably warm...

Comment

Run a sand paper block over the strings and they'll feel like new.
      Originally posted by TheLivingDead
      H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
      Originally posted by jcthejester13
      I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

Gotta tell ya, the best "squeak stop" that I've ever used is just plain talcum or baby powder. But I'm not sure why you're wanting to squelch fret noise. It's such an integral part of the guitar. "We Will Rock You". Ring any bells?
        Last edited by Hellion; 08-16-2011, 11:15 AM.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
          If you want some really smooth, hot licks, try using this.....
          Not recommended. The warming stuff uses honey, makes it sticky.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I cleaned my #1 LP with Lemon pledge and strings w/ WD40 for years.

I have had the entire face de-waxed from the pledge once or twice. And the fretboard is one dark mofo for being rosewood. No idea if that was the WD, the Pledge, or some combo.

These days I'm about NOT cleaning the front at all, or buffing with a sock. And GHS fast Fret on the strings.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
              Buy some jazz strings....
              Man WD-40...
              What is next???
              Oliveoil?
              My baby gets an olive oil massage after bathtime!

I only use fret cleaner stuff, I currently have something by Yamaha.

With WD40 I'd be more worried about touching other things, especially food, after playing.
              "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
              "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
              "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
              "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

I tried using WD-40 years ago as a string cleaner once or twice, but it did not work well. A good Lemon Oil will work, but I prefer the Dunlop 65 String Cleaner--it works very well.

I know a lot of people swear by Fast Fret or Finger-ease, but I haven't ever felt the need to use them.

I would not use WD-40 as a string cleaner or lubricant on a guitar.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I use a mix of WD-40 & rubbing alcohol to clean my strings,when I clean them at all.Just pour/spray 'em on a rag & wipe.Never had any problems with any finishes,either...
                  "Scalloped & Stickered"
                  A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

WD 40 was first engineered as a water displacement solvent not a lubricant. It has a high concentration of mineral spirits here in the US, in the European market it has a high concentration of Naphtha. I can't see it hurting the guitar but it could make the fingerboard so slippery it would be hard to play.
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Aceman-
                      I cleaned my #1 LP with Lemon pledge and strings w/ WD40 for years.
                      I too have used WD 40 to clean for some 35 years. I don't know about string noise, but it does prolong string life. If you spray WD on a rag[/U]and[/U[U]carefully[U]]wrap around the strings and wipe them down,after you play. It cleans and protects them. I have not had any problems with build up on the fret board, or drying out the fret board.

I'm sure some will tell me I'm crazy, or stupid for using WD, but it's been working for a long time! And as for the smell, grow a pair......

Flame on.....

Alleecat

Comment

Axle grease, soap, mouse liver, bacon fat, and/or sump oil.

Top with grated cheese, grille for fifteen minutes and serve with salad and fries.

Oh, and to stop string squeak .... turn that damm amplifier down !! ( or OFF would be even better ....)
                        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I use FingerEase and after having used it for a while, I don't like playing without it. I have dry hands and the strings across my dry hands is just rough. I find that it helps my hands not dry out so much.

Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                          It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
                            I use FingerEase and after having used it for a while, I don't like playing without it. I have dry hands and the strings across my dry hands is just rough. I find that it helps my hands not dry out so much.

Finger Ease or just plain ol' silicone spray. A couple bucks from any hardware store and it will last you a long time and won't harm anything on your guitar.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                              Good old Home Depot luthierie, gotta love it... especially as a tech that gets the screwed up instruments to repair

I personally am not a fan of string cleaners, wiping them down after playing with a blitz cloth goes a long way. But if you HAVE to have one, at least get GHS Fast Fret or some other product specifically formulated not to dick up your fretboard.
                              Fast Fret FTW.
                              Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                              I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

That is what I use every now and then, and whenever I am going to let a guitar sit for a while. I keep my strings until they break, usually. Have had the same bottle since 2004. I like the way it smells, and it is not too heavy on the slippery feeling.
                                Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-03-2011, 03:42 AM.
                                Originally posted by LesStrat
                                Yogi Berra was correct.
                                Originally posted by JOLLY
                                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X