Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD: You'll Never Guess

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
    I'd say its a Chinese fake, but I don't think they make fakes of Epiphones, do they?
    Actually...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epip...ne-thread.html

But this isn't fake, the knobs line up, the screws are in the right place. I can't see the headstock, but I seriously doubt that you found a fake Epi in a brick and mortar guitar store.
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
      If a guitar doesn't sound good unplugged, I put it back on the rack.
      +1...

to OP, same thing happened to me when I went to buy my American Deluxe Strat, I left with a Road Worn (still one of my 2 primary guitars I play at gigs)... was totally not what I was looking for and didn't think for a second that was what I was going to get, but it happened... I couldn't put the guitar down.. so I bought it...

Also, that LP in white is SO classy... totally epic...
      "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

Yeah, the white LP Custom thing is getting to me.

I don't like opaque finished Gibson style guitars.

It seems like the execution of the 2 LP Customs (black, white), though, is about as good as you can do with an opaque finished G-style guitar. Except, of course, the goldtop
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
          Yeah, the white LP Custom thing is getting to me.

I don't like opaque finished Gibson style guitars.

It seems like the execution of the 2 LP Customs (black, white), though, is about as good as you can do with an opaque finished G-style guitar. Except, of course, the goldtop
          Sand it all off. It'll probably sound better, anyway.
          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Here are some more pictures, some of the headstock in particular, and the others just for fun, and for a LOL at how the shop owner said this guitar had "never been owned."

Comment

That is definitely a refurb- they are quite common to be stamped and serialed like that and they won;t show up under the original serial # tools online- as they are technically "destroyed" by the factory, and then thse refurb places buy them up and fix them. You see them on ebay all the time from a great # of manufacturers. I bought an Epi Les Paul classic quilt top like that once for a pittance, but I cannot imagine how bad the guitar was BEFORE the refurb cos it was awful afterwards for sure- needed tons of fretwork, bridge and TP holes were drilled slightly off, neck angle was incorrect, etc.

That said, they should *appear** fairly new with maybe a few odd cosmetic issues.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

There was a story a few years ago about how some Korean Epis were getting stolen from the factory and sold elsewhere. Is it possible you have one of these, which is a true Epi, but with bogus numbers?

Either way, nice gat. I came within an ace of trading my G&L ASAT tribute for one just like that about a month ago, but I just like the 25.5 scale length too much to have an LP again.
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Well, let me ask this: how are serial numbers put onto the Epiphones?

Are they stamped in, or are they a sticker only?

If they're just a sticker, the sticker from this one is gone, replaced with the copper background / black text one above.

I could be wrong; this copper / black sticker could be its actual serial number, but it looks and feels very "after the thought," and it doesn't link up with any Epiphone serial number conventions I've found online.

In this picture, you can kind of see the "USED" stamp on the headstock:

Comment

Would Epiphone keep a record of refurbished guitars?
                    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                      Would Epiphone keep a record of refurbished guitars?
                      Let's email them and find out!

Comment

Email sent, I guess we'll see what Gibson has to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                          Hey man... I recommend one of these:

Those import switches don't last. The electronic wiring will make you mad inside of those things.
                          Indeed!

I have a Switchcraft in my other Epiphone, huge improvement.

Glad to see they make them in gold!

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                            So you wanted El34s and ended up with humbuckers. Dude, if they made a reality TV show about you, I'd totally watch it.

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                            A) Quote of the year in line 1!
                            LMAO - when i read his first line i chuckled out loud and said to myself "oh man, if anyone ever said that about me, it would be sigworthy forever"

enjoy the new guitar, hunter - glad you found something that scratched the itch

stock pickups doin' it for ya? or are they bound for replacement?

cheers
                            t4d
                            Last edited by tone4days; 08-31-2011, 09:48 AM.
                            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Congrats!

White Customs are the shiznit!

Comment

When they dont make QC standards and are sent off for refurb they are marked used and given a different serial # by the refurbishers- this way they are not eligible for normal warranty. So you do not have the original serial # and thus why you cannot find it on the online serial # tool.

Actual Epiphones serial #s will have a letter prefix to denote the factory it was built in (whether Korea, or China). And they are not stamped into the wood- they are done in white/black paint.
                                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                                X