banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's your opinion on the Carvin Legacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's your opinion on the Carvin Legacy?

So I've played a Bogner Ecstasy that was priced at $2200 and then I plugged into a 100 w Carvin Legacy........one word.....WOW Both sounded amazing in their own special way,but I am now the proud new owner of a Carvin Legacy!I walked away with for $450 Needless to say it leaves my Peavey Ultra Plus in the dust!!

Any opinions or background on the Carvin Legacy?

Thanks,
    ~GLENN

Re: So what's your opinion on the Carvin Legacy?

I'm listening to that demo now and it sounds good. Rock on!!!
    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

my friends getting the half stack for christmas... i cant wait. its gonna be a big upgrade for him over the little peavy bandit he plays now.
      Guitars
      MIA Olypmic white Strat, Warmoth Neck(Brazilian Rosewood)-Fralin Vintage Hots
      MIA Strat '57 RI, Tobacco Sunburst
      Danny Gatton Trib Tele-Barden Rail/Tex Mex
      Agile Al-3000-'59/Seth
      MIJ "Blackie" Strat-Ant Texas Hots

Amps
      70's Fender Super Reverb Head, Blackfaced by Billy Penn
      Fender Deluxe Plus 112

Pedals
      Modded V-847, Sniper GE-7, Boss CH-1, Modded TS-9, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Keeley Blues Driver, Carl Martin Rock Drive.

Comment

i think that Vai demo of the amp sounds great and it makes me interested to hear more of the amp. No question it is a hell of a deal. Hope you enjoy it man.
        MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

I played one at Guitar Center a long time ago and there must have been something seriously wrong with it, because it was one of the worst sounding amps I've ever played or heard in my life.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

The Vai clips on the Carvin page do sound VERY good.

There is a clip HERE about 1/3 down the page, and I'm not sure what I think about it. However I've never played one myself, so I cannot make any assumptions.

BTW, that webpage has LOTS of great amp clips. The VHT's are just insane as is the Uberschall (sp?)
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
              I played one at Guitar Center a long time ago and there must have been something seriously wrong with it, because it was one of the worst sounding amps I've ever played or heard in my life.
              couldve been tons of peeople were playing it and the tubes had gotten fried ive played some nice amps at guitar stores that have sounded like crap because the tubes in it are old
              Guitars
              MIA Olypmic white Strat, Warmoth Neck(Brazilian Rosewood)-Fralin Vintage Hots
              MIA Strat '57 RI, Tobacco Sunburst
              Danny Gatton Trib Tele-Barden Rail/Tex Mex
              Agile Al-3000-'59/Seth
              MIJ "Blackie" Strat-Ant Texas Hots

Amps
              70's Fender Super Reverb Head, Blackfaced by Billy Penn
              Fender Deluxe Plus 112

Pedals
              Modded V-847, Sniper GE-7, Boss CH-1, Modded TS-9, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Keeley Blues Driver, Carl Martin Rock Drive.

Comment

I think a large part of why the Vai Legacy soundclip sounds so great is because Vai is playing!!! He can play through a junky solid state amp and still sound amazing. Guys- don't let gear be your crutch. A HUGE part of great guitar tone comes from you.
                Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
                ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
                ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
                ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
                ESP KH-1
                LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
                BC Rich KKV
                Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
                Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Remeber that Vai has so many pre-amp effects and even then he throws in lots of double tracking and tweaking in the recording studio.
                  His sound is not so much the Legacy but more the things he does to the sound post-recording.

Also yes, many people debate wether he actually uses a legacy or a bogner xtc 101b. There is lots of evidence to support the bogner claim though...

Comment

It's a decent amp. For a used price, or even new, it's pretty cheap for what you get.
                    I'd recommend using Svetlana or JJ power tubes and GT 12AX7C Chinese pre tubes, and also make sure the cab has Celestions, NOT Carvin "British" speakers.
                    I'm sure if Bogners were $600, you would have jumped on it, but that'll never happen.
                    The Legacy and 2-12 Belaire are the best amps Carvin ever made, easily.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys.I'm not regretting my purchase at all!Having gone from a Fender HR Deville 212 to a Crate Blue Voodoo 120 head and 4x12 cab to a Peavey Ultra Plus with a 5150 4x12 cab,I feel like I've finally found a great sounding head.At this point I'm going to run through my 5150 4x12 cab,which carry 16 OHM Sheffields.I'm hoping I'll be able to find a good deal on a 2x12 V30 Celestion equipped cab down the road.At this point,I'm pacified with my 5150 4x12

~GLENN

Comment

My reply from the OTHER post regarding this exact same amp/question:

----------

I had mixed feelings about it...

Pros: creamy, articulate, defined sounding clean channel, versatile tube/power switch options (can switch from el34/6l6 tubes and 50/100w), good reverb. Something about the way the amp is engineered makes notes just JUMP off the fretboard and facilitates fast, synamic playing. A very "elastic" or "liquid" feel... Gearjoneser tells me that Bogners have this too.

Cons: VERY loud from both the wattage AND the way the pre and power amp is voiced. Needs an attenuator to be managable at low levels. I found it to be a tad muffled on the distortion channel unless i was using bright and focussed sounding pickups like a JB or a DiMarzio Evolution.

In short, i thought it was a good amp and would probably suit a few people... but not me. I opted to buy my boogie and if i had to buy another amp I'd save up and get a Bogner Ecstacy 101b... the ones that Steve used on the 1st G3 tour

Plus there's those stories flying around that Steve's Legacys are heavily modded by Reinhold Bogner himself.

Comment

Working...
                        X