Is This a Sustaniac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a Sustaniac?

How are the swells at 0:21 being played? Is it a Sustaniac pickup?

"Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Re: Is This a Sustaniac?

I'm guessing it's a Sustainer--here's a clip of someone with a Fernandes Native
    guitar doing some similar stuff:

Comment

Thanks, Great Kazoo, that looks like the one.

This has got me considering a Warmoth build with either a Fernandez Sustainer or a Sustainiac...

Comment

hes not using one here...but check out an ebow....that can do those sounds and more with ease (actually thats what was used on with or without you as well as black hole sun).
        See and hear the amazing EBow - a hand-held, battery-powered, electronic bow for guitar featuring Direct String Synthesis. Infinite sustain and electronic bowing effects.

Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-30-2011, 12:33 AM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          hes not using one here...but check out an ebow....that can do those sounds and more with ease (actually thats what was used on with or without you as well as black hole sun).
          See and hear the amazing EBow - a hand-held, battery-powered, electronic bow for guitar featuring Direct String Synthesis. Infinite sustain and electronic bowing effects.

I ****IN NEED ONE RIGHT NOW THEN

ive been wondering how the hell he did that.

now, on the Radiohead track.. its hard to say, they each have their fair share of effects pedals. I detect a delay pedal with some light reverb. I often use my giga delay and digital reverb in this fashion and end up with that kind of infinite sound.

Comment

Yay for ebows.

They're pretty fun to mess around with. I think you'd really dig it, AZ.

Comment

yeh ebows are rad...pretty limited in some ways, but so full of old skool analog 70s goodness! If you spend some time working with them you can do all sorts of rad stuff.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Nice, thanks guys. I'll have to find an EBow to try.

Comment

Hey SabbathFan0220, all this talk about the eBow reminded me of this old song,
                  mostly at the beginning and end:

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
                    He's using a sustainer in the radiohead clip, you can see the sustainer pickup in the neck position.
                    I thought it looked like an aftermarket thing, I think I was confused with this:

Comment

That intro hit the spot, Great Kazoo. I'm getting more into the textural/ambient stuff and I think I need a need a tool to achieve infinite sustain, either the pickup or the EBow.

AZ, that Sustainiac pickup is the same idea. The Fernandez Sustainer (stock on some Fernandez guitars) and the Sustainiac are competing technologies that do the same trick. Jackson has a guitar out now with a stock Sustainiac pickup:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...r-w-sustainiac

Comment

Working...
                      X