I have a fizz phobia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a fizz phobia.

I know this iis all very technical, but there's a story behind it too.

I played with a band once, and had an extraorinarily fizzy tone.

You know, the kind of tone where you can only be heard in a two-guuitar band on the very top frequencies..

I hated it. Ever since, my tonal quest has been finding a clear, cutting, warm tone that never gets lost in the mix but ABSOLUTELY is not fizzy.

Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls. Peavey JSX. Marshall cab with WGS veteran 30 and et-65 speakers.

Help?
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: I have a fizz phobia.

I personally wold switch the C-rex speakers and wonder about pickups. What level of gain are you going for as well?

Comment

Originally posted by drpietrzak View Post
      I personally wold switch the C-rex speakers and wonder about pickups. What level of gain are you going for as well?
      I typically go pretty high-gain....so I am not sure if that means lower ouput pups with more preamp, or high- output with less preamp. Les Paul style guitars seem to have been kind to me.
      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
      Originally posted by Sosomething
      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I usually go with higher gain bridge pups and less preamp gain from my amp to get a warmer tone that still cuts through. I also tend to roll the tone knobs on my bridge pups back and sometimes just even rolling my volume knob back to 9 will smooth out some of the the fizz at high volumes.

I've had a similar problem like yours. For the longest time most of the bands I was playing with had a very static-y white noise type distortion. So I looked at my setup and realized my tone probably came off the same way in a live situation. It took me a while to balance it out, for a long time my tone was way too muddy because I was trying to get all of the fizz out of my sound.
        77 Gibson Les Paul Custom (70's DiMarzios)
        Gibson Les Paul (Duncan Distortion, Pearly Gates)
        Fuchs Blackjack 21
        -Fuchs Plush Cream
        -Boss DD7 Delay

Comment

Less gain, try some different speakers (H30, GB)

And IME with the couple of JSX's I played ( head and the old combo) it's got fizzy tendencies.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud View Post
            I know this iis all very technical, but there's a story behind it too.

I played with a band once, and had an extraorinarily fizzy tone.

You know, the kind of tone where you can only be heard in a two-guuitar band on the very top frequencies..

I hated it. Ever since, my tonal quest has been finding a clear, cutting, warm tone that never gets lost in the mix but ABSOLUTELY is not fizzy.

Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls. Peavey JSX. Marshall cab with WGS veteran 30 and et-65 speakers.

Help?
            V30 and Peavey amps
            tone slut
            Marshall DSL 40C
            Fender EVH Striped Series
            Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
            Fender Squier Tele Affinity
            Mogami cables

Comment

jsx at high gain = fizz. Those things are shred machines.
              In a perfect world id suggest you try out a mesa stiletto and see what you think. They are built to slice thru (and complement with) the huge sound of a recto in two guitar bands.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
              X